Friday, December 05, 2008

who'm I?

Whew. I had forgotten how retail completely drains one. Those who sneer at the profession have no idea how much constant problem-solving is involved, and when you toss customer service into that mix, you have a really challenging job. Fun, though. I get to turn on the charm and smile and help people and forget about everything that exists outside the store.

After days of answering questions and helping people find these products, and after constant "this is where I am in the books" updates from John, I have caved and purchased Twilight. I don't even know why I resisted so long; I've been dying to read this series for quite some time.

My head aches -- I think I forgot to eat today -- my knees would love to kill me -- I can't think clearly -- I close my eyes and see store signage --

Ahh, retail. How I've missed thee.

Funny how many things are so much easier now. I know the basic ropes from my stint in this field before, and...I don't know. Maybe I've gotten used to fudging things and learning on the fly, but I'm a lot more unflappable and ten thousand times more confident. Which is already gaining me more hours.

I have enough mental energy to formulate this and no more. Tonight demands lying supine on the couch with a candle burning and a Grolsch close to hand, eyes riveted on the pages of a new, lovely, fun, absorbing book.

Thank God for language, the written word, and the human imagination.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....