Saturday, January 07, 2017

We Carry Our Origins within Us

We are salt and water
stung by lightning into life
in the voiceless beginnings
of biological time
kindled nucleotide threads
replicating unthought, unthinking in our harsh salt bath
and when we had grown large
enough, bony enough, breathing
enough to creep from the ocean
we made of our bodies vessels to enclose it
and bring it with us
in the brine of our blood, the solutions of our
sweat and tears, of our urine and semen
and vaginal fluid,
the seawater of our spines.
From our brains swimming in salinity lightning
flashes down the forked tendrils of nerves
to sting our cells, and in this endless animation
of billions of years of algorithmically adapted tissue
we live
and move
and have our being,
awakened worlds of water and salt
surging electric within elastic casings of skin.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....