Saturday, November 26, 2005

good night, sweet prince

They're totalling my car.

Apparently on the close inspection that he should have done the minute I drove to the dealership with my damaged Earl four weeks ago, the inspection/estimate guy decided yesterday that the cost to repair outweighs the value of the eleven-year-old minivan. So I'm sitting back waiting for a call from the insurance company.

This frustrates me for a number of reasons. First, my old Earl has been a faithful vehicle. So I'm sad. But more than this, the insurance company should have declared total loss at least a month ago. Instead they farted around denying me the money I needed for a rental (they said they'd pay for the three days it would take to repair the as-then-assessed damages, but no more, sticking me with the bill for another five days since the soonest they would let me take my car in was Thanksgiving week, when I was due to travel to visit family), and then the estimate guy waited till FRIDAY (I dropped my car off on Monday) to call me to tell me he's putting a hold on my car until he can hear back from the insurance company about totalling it.

So now I have to scramble to find a new car before the cost of the rental puts me in the poorhouse. My grandparents were great, though -- I got the phone call yesterday at their house, and was so upset that I buckled onto the floor and started crying (I seriously don't have the money for this and I sure as hell have never bought a car before); poor Mom thought someone had died -- and my tough, practical, Scots-Irish grandmother came and knelt in front of me on the floor and took my hands firmly and said, "You're a good kid, and you've been making it on your own. I am so proud of you. Your grandfather and I will help you with a new car. And don't be too proud to accept it." I sniffled and said, "Thanks, I'll pay you back," and she said sharply, "No you will not. If we help you, you won't pay anything back." And my gruff German-Scots-Irish pap-pap growled, "Sure, honey. We'll help you." And Grandma started flipping through the 2006 Consumer Report looking for reliable automobiles while Pap-pap gave me advice on taxes and told me to run my hands up under the dashboard of any used vehicle I consider to look for flood silt.

So I've decided I want a Toyota Corolla -- affordable, reliable, cheap to repair, long-lasting, safe -- and Mom and Dad and their friends and our family are helping me locate some. So within a week I should have a new car.

The good thing is I get an extra paycheck in December, which should cover the cost of the rental. And I'm actually pretty excited about a new(er) car. I'm just glad I don't have to do everything myself (another sucky singleness factor, especially with home base so far away).

Oo, and my parents are giving me my favorite of their three cats, adorable black-as-velvet Simon who doesn't prefer the company of so many cats and would probably benefit from living with only one person. He strayed into our yard two Easters ago and I made first contact with him (I was sitting in the yard with Kristin Born, then Bell, late one evening when I saw this gorgeous slender black cat hanging around under one of the cars, so I crouched down and started rubbing my fingers together and crooning. He paced frantically back and forth like he wanted to come running but was afraid, then suddenly gathered all his courage and shot over and scooted under my hand and froze. Then when I kept crooning and started stroking his head, he relaxed all over and kicked up a raspy loud purr that you wouldn't believe and started rolling around in ecstasy in the dirt. Within a week he was formally adopted into our zoo/family). So after Christmas I'm taking him back to South Bend.

This will put me two closer to achieving my five By The Time I'm Thirty-One I Will Have goals. Those goals are: a house, a new car, a cat, a dog, and a king-size bed.

Three to go.

3 comments:

la persona said...

Here's to another victim dealing with the trauma of transitioning from faithful-old-totaled-vehicle to (in my case)$400-1986-Toyota-Corolla-with-a-big-dent-in-the-side-broken-radio-deathly-gray-colored-pallor-etc-etc-etc-because-I-work-for-a-nonprofit-now-ok?

When I first made the switch, my boxing buddies teased me, "Look, she thinks she be all ghetto now! Haha!" My mischievous roommate took one look at it and said, "Look, you've got a social work car now! All of my friends who are social workers all drive banged-up Toyota Corollas with trash on all of the seats. Now you'll fit right in with them." But my matter-of-fact mother just said, "Look, now you'll always be the one totaled in a crash!" < sigh >

Well, anyway, sorry about your car. I do feel your pain. And best wishes finding a new one. Let us know if he's hot or what.

your partner in hooptiedom,
j

lvs said...

Here's to being independent and dealing with things. Growing up has always seemed more trouble than it's worth. But it's always amazing when the fam chips in to help out. Good luck with the new car.

-K- said...

Last week some lady hit my car. Today my car wouldn't start and I had to call a fellow teacher for a ride. These couple of car situations have made me feel helpless, alone, and wanting to crawl home.

Then I read your post and it made me feel stronger. Thinking of you without a car at all made me knock it off and get over my car woes.

I totally know how you feel. It's hard enough doing everything on your own without your only mode of transportation bailing on you.

So I'm happy fam funds will help you out. You have inspired me to keep it real...independent-girl- far-from-home-not-being-able-to-rely-on-anyone-real.

Thanks!

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....