Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Enter Henrietta

My cute, sassy 2001 Toyota Corolla Sport. Yes, in the span of sixty hours I got a new car. Here's a frame-by-frame:

Friday. The call comes from Gurley Leep about Earl's totalled status. I freak out. My grandparents promise to help. I ride back to Erie with Mom and Dad feeling sick. Dad calls a friend from church for car-buying tips. The guy tells him he usually gets them off Ebay.

Saturday. Doug e-mails Dad a link to a 2001 Toyota Corolla Sport on the Ebay market, fantastically priced and in great condition. I see the pictures. I read a list of the car's assets. I fall in love. Dad calls the seller (who lives in Rochester, NY) to ask a few questions. Dad calls Pap-pap to tell him about the car. Dad wants to drive the car before he buys it. I spend the entire day chewing my nails.

Sunday. Dad calls the seller again. Pap-pap calls with his approval (necessary because Pap-pap is footing all of the money for the car, part a gift and part a loan). Mom, Dad, and I drive to Rochester. We test drive the car. I am wildly in love with the car. I name her Henrietta Brighton-Jones. We buy the car. We drive her to North East. We arrive there at 8:00 p.m. I finish packing the rental car and start out in it for South Bend at 9:00 p.m.

Monday. At midnight I am still driving. I pull over at the western edge of Ohio at 1:00 a.m. for a nap because I am so tired I am shaking and feeling close to vomiting. I arrive at my apartment at 3:45 a.m. I fall asleep an hour later. My alarm goes off at 7:00 a.m. I sleep for another hour. I arrive at work forty minutes late. I make it through the day. I go to bed at 9:00 p.m. for ten hours of sleep.

Tuesday. Mom and Dad drive Henrietta to me. Dad and I return the rental car while Mom helps Meg at work. I drive Henrietta back to work. We have dinner at the Fiddler's, then part ways so Mom and Dad can get home before midnight. I drive Henrietta home and hash out the details of repayment with my grandparents (I'm paying back eighty-eight percent of the cost of the car, which will have me making payments to them for the next five years. This basically means I'll be living in my current lifestyle -- no extra frills or fun stuff, definitely not a new chair and probably not even a new mattress for a long time -- even after my raise. This stings a little, particularly about the mattress because my back HURTS all the time now, but at least they're not charging me interest, which with their loans they usually do. My grandfather was a banker). I sit back excited to watch Bones and House. Or maybe just Bones, depending on how tired I am.

So Henrietta is white, snazzy, with a CD player and a stick shift and cruise control. I have wanted a stick ever since I learned to drive one. I can't believe that I have the car of my dreams. For this I am exceedingly grateful. And she definitely has "get-up-and-go." Earl was faithful, but certainly not speedy (zero to thirty in ten seconds). Henrietta grips the road and jumps.

I have an amazing family and a great car.

Happy happy happy.

Tired.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to do this thing called Debt Rolling for a while (and once in a while, I succeed). Basically, you list out all of your debt by which will get paid off first. Then you put an extra 10%/month from your budget into the payment for the debt which will be paid off soonest. It kinda sucks because, hey, less fun stuff, but on the other hand, I'm now paying my car off about 2 years before it was supposed to be.

After you pay off the first debt, you take the money you would have been paying on that debt and roll it into the next closest debt.

Hence, debt rolling.

People with 20 year mortgages have been able to knock 10 years off with this thing.

AE said...

Did you try flipping your mattress? Some times that helps. Also, sometimes, I need to use less pillows or none at all for a day or two. I even sleep on the floor on occasion. All in the hope that at some point I might find the right combination will ease the back. I usually find temporary relief.

AE said...

ps I love you. call some time, we have catching up to do.

Mair said...

Glad to hear about your new car! How fun! About the mattress...I have a little trick I play with myself. I just pretend I have a Tempurpedic. Sometimes it works...other time, it doesn't.

slb said...

I'm so glad to hear about your car! :-) miss you!

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....