Saturday, December 17, 2005

nevertheless, hello

Holy smokies, it's been awhile since I've updated.

The reason for this is simple: My life has been turned into some ghastly sort of one-dimensional hell where I drift in the-ghost-of-Marley fashion with my jaw bandaged shut in order to stifle the moans of despair. I have kept myself at a level of near-complete exhaustion in order to deaden myself, with the result that I have no brain cells left for blogging.

And it's all because of work. Work has become as difficult as it could imaginably be at every facet.

Now, lest you think I am about to launch into a barrage of complaints, allow me to say that I am not in true despair. I just have to hang in there. I know that "all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well"; but boy howdy, I'm tired. And I wish to explain to my beloved readers why.

The Center for the Homeless in South Bend is a sort of national phenomenon. It's not a soup kitchen, or a shelter; it seeks to end homelessness for its guests by giving them all classes and programs to address and fix why they're homeless. People can get their GEDs, acquire sponsored internships and externships around the community, pay off debt, learn about themselves, and find homes, all while having their basic needs met and their basic bills paid by living for free at the Center.

In its fifteen-ish years of existence, the Center has expanded a great deal, rather beyond its original vision, and so it is in the process of hashing out what its current vision and purpose are supposed to be. So there's been a lot of turnover as various people have left, and as a new leadership is establishing itself; and overall, as with all revolutions, things are in a state of temporary chaos as the new order begins to gain its balance.

This puts a lot of burdens of adjustment on all the staff, and the PEDS program where Meg and I work is no exception. We're undergoing a lot of changes anyway -- changes to the curriculum, changes in our supervisor, changes in the enrollees to the program, changes in the number of volunteers (on whom we rely -- a day with five toddlers and three infants and without help is almost impossible) and now changes in the program assistant, as Meg looks for a replacement for me in preparation for my move to the administrative branch.

As other children have left, Meg and I have taken on five new children, all very young and very needy. Two of the infants do not sleep when the older children do, so now there is no point in the day wherein Meg and I get a break. We have no lunchbreak, and with the vanishing of the volunteers (mostly college students) for their long Christmas breaks, we have had to beg for help from the already overworked staff in order to be able to put all the children down for a nap in under an hour and a half. Meg and I agreed yesterday that we are so busy taking care of kids all day long that we don't have time to run to the bathroom or even put on chapstick. We're desperately overworked and overwrought just trying to get through each day.

So I've pretty much shut down into survival mode. No emotional response to anything, no deep thinking. I come home deadpan from work every day and shuffle around the apartment putting off going to bed, then get up so tired I see flashes of light as I stagger to the bathroom to shower, and drag myself to work.

At least I can say there's a light at the end of the tunnel -- I get to start my new job once my replacement in PEDS has been found. It's much worse for Meg as she tries to keep the program running by herself. Hopefully the new hire will have more energy and boundless enthusiasm.

I do love the Center. I love working there and I love the people who work there and live there. Last week I sang a duet with one of the case managers at the Center's holiday talent show and it went over extremely well, and it was nice to come out of the woodwork and be part of the community there. Last week also some of the staff got together after work at the Fiddler's for fun and socialization, making me fall in love even more with the staff. I am optimistic about everything working out in the end for everyone else's benefit. It's just a roughish road getting to where we need to be.

So simple exhaustion is the reason for my long silence. Today I took an entire Saturday to go nowhere and do nothing but relax and clean. Tomorrow Meg and I are getting together to bake cookies, and when I come home I will finish wrapping presents for the people for whom I can afford to buy presents. It's going to be a lovely Christmas, I think -- not because of lavish gifts (tons of bills for various things -- hopitalization, car tax, car rental -- have just arrived, tightening the screws down on my already squeaking budget) but because this year I can spend Christmas at home with my family. That in itself is comfort and joy.

2 comments:

la persona said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
la persona said...

I really need to get my own blog. But it's so much easier when you're doing the blogging for me? I feel your pain, sister. Hopefully the holidays will give you a little time for some R&R rather than intensifying your already stressful life.

Here in Columbus, my new favorite word is "crestfallen." On Thursday I was rejected from the job of dreams--the one that had my name written all over it and the sort of employment perfection that would leave me at the end of the day with more energy than before. I'm so glad the recruiter told me the news over the phone rather in person so that he didn't have to see my disconsolate face. When I asked him what went wrong, he told me, "Honestly, there was nothing you could have done differently. You were more than qualified for the position and you did everything right. But...the decision wasn't mine to make." Apparently, the other folks on the selection committee didn't think I was "minority" enough for their tastes. And it's true--that's one thing about myself that I can never change.

While I sit here today, trying to nurse my wounds and fantasizing about running off to Zimbabwe and probably eating too much ice cream too--I can sure identify with your pained "moans of despair." The job where I work now -- a $53 million-dollar big, well-known, and very competitive nonprofit -- has gone from happy to hair-pulling in a matter of months. Must get out of here soon or my sanity may be at stake. But to where? At least you have a promotion to look forward to!

Ok, that's enough of that. I swear I'll start blogging one of these days. For now, I just appreciate the vicarious nature of yours. Thanks, Sarah. I wish you all the best.

-J

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....