Sunday, December 04, 2005

o tannenbaum

Yesterday I pulled sturdy jeans over a pair of old nylons, layered up in sweaters, donned the only hat that becomes me, and headed up to Michigan to fetch myself a fine-lookin' tree with Boss Meg and her husband Phillip.

Christmas tree selection, transportation, and installation is possibly a greater difficulty to the modern single woman than the pointlessness of hanging mistletoe. A dear friend (an attached young man) once asked, "Why do all these TV shows and movies make a big deal out of single women having to drag Christmas trees into their apartments through their windows?" Because it's the starkest thing about the single life. A woman can be content, even satisfied, with her life as a Singleton; but managing a Christmas tree by herself throws into sharp relief the inherent wrongness of having to navigate life alone. There should be someone to help her with the damn tree. When there isn't, it goes beyond a feeling of cosmic mockery and violates the sensibility that lies at the marrow of Christmas: connection. Divine connection to humanity, human connection to humanity. A woman falling back on her own resources to set up her isolated celebration of connection is a terribly ironic tragedy.

I've been blessed so far by not having to set up makeshift pulleys out my living room window. Last year when I couldn't go home for any of the holidays because of the demands of retail, my parents visited for Thanksgiving and brought with them a Scotch pine to set up in my living room. (One of these days I'll post on the necessity of having parents, even and especially as an adult, and how glad I am that my parents maintain an active involvement in my life, or I might be lost.) They helped me purchase the lights, the ornaments, the tinsel. I decorated it alone, but even though I cried as I did it, I did not feel abandoned.

This year I could not have done it without Meg and Phillip. And I had a wonderful time. We drove to a Christmas tree farm in the middle of nowhere, which supplies its customers with saws and hayrides (horse- or tractor-drawn) to the tree fields, where you can wander at will and select your very own tree. Phillip cut mine down for me (a tall, full Douglas fir -- I'm drawn to triangular trees the way some people are drawn to certain body types), and we hauled our trees back to meet the next hayride and headed to the home base where our trees were mechanically shaken free of dead needles, measured, priced, and bundled. Then we went into a log-cabin style general store for complimentary hot cocoa and to pay for the trees. Phillip strapped the trees to the top of their SUV and we returned to their place for chili and tree decoration, after which they drove my tree to my apartment, carried it upstairs, and went about the messy business of setting it up in my living room.

I had already rearranged all the furniture to accomodate the beautiful annual intruder, but we hadn't factored on the difficulty of forcing the tree into my ancient tree stand. In the end my living room carpet was littered with branches, bark, sawdust, pinesap, needles, and twigs as Meg and Phillip hacked away at interfering tree limbs. (At one point Phillip was doing the sawing while Meg and I straddled the still-bundled tree to keep it still, and I laughed and said, "Meg, we're having a treesome!")

So now I have armfuls of fir boughs to adorn the apartment, a clean carpet, and a fully decorated tree. Every family decorates differently; mine favors large colored lights, some of which randomly blink (and the first half-hour or forty-five minutes of tree decoration involves unscrewing and moving bulbs around to eliminate clusters of one color throughout the branches) and no particular theme to the ornaments. The tree is a hodgepodge of homemade, inherited, bought, and acquired ornaments placed to fill its spaces, some hung as far back as possible, layered over with silver tinsel icicles (no garland for me!) and topped with an angel. The overall effect is friendly, warm, and delightful; my favorite evening advent activity is to turn off all lights in the house except the tree just before bed, and sit listening to Christmas music or in silence, watching the tree and the needly patterns of colored light it throws against the white walls and ceiling.

It's still odd, decorating by myself and for myself, but this year I feel I have friends with which to share it. Next weekend sometime Meg and I are getting together for a Christmas cookie-baking bonanza (such fun, to swap recipes), and she'll be stopping by during the week to see what I've done with the tree. I'll have Colette over soon, and I'm pretty sure I can drag MP over for some insane Christmas cheer.

This is a new and glowing facet to celebrating Christmas: sharing and experiencing the traditions of fully grown friends. Everyone has a different story, and story, as Leigh Ann and I enthusiastically discuss, is life.

So I'm single. So I'm living alone. But I didn't have to wrestle my tree in place by myself, and I am beginning to feel more and more connected where I am.

And my tree is fragrant and gorgeous.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose those coffee spoons can hold quite a lot, if you fill them the right way with the right stuff. It only takes one sugary heaping spoonful to completely sweeten a cup of bitter coffee.

Its been a while, fellow ex-English major. Drop me a line sometime: caiken05 at nyls.edu

Anonymous said...

since anonymi are no longer allowed to leave comments on your FF blog, I followed you. I'll leave you all alone now, but I wanted to thank you for your gracious responses, even when I wasn't very good at communicating. You saw beyond the words used and recognized what I was trying to say. I can't say that for your friend Marianne. She was more like a hungry wolf attacking a sickly lamb. She was terribly defensive and not too willing to listen. Anyway, I'm going to pray for all of you. You seem like great ladies. Very smart. Just don't let your status as one of the smart people keep you from appreciating what those "less educated" might have learned in the school of life.

The Prufroquette said...

Ha! Truer words never spoken about the major benefits of interacting with the "less educated" (though not less intelligent). I'm one of those less educated now myself, not belonging to a graduate community, although I probably will at some point in the future (I see myself in front of a college classroom demanding responses about Andrew Marvell and T.S. Eliot too clearly to deny that it has a place in my destiny). But it's so much fun, and full of such great challenges, to be in the work force interacting with a wide variety of people who possess a wide variety of experiences and viewpoints. I love it. Love it.

Anyway, thank you for responding graciously in kind. You're welcome to continue commenting wherever you feel comfortable. I think that disagreement is beneficial as a bridge-building activity to open lines of communication and lead to greater understandings on both sides, so thanks for creating such interesting discussions on the FF blog (I haven't had such great mental exercises in writing in awhile -- I love to write, and it was wonderful fun to compose what I wanted to say). And I feel it was mutually productive.

All the best to you! Thanks for your encouragement.

The Prufroquette said...

Oh p.s. I would like to repeat that Marianne is awesome. Without her wit and upbeat attitude and the comfort that comes from several years of knowing each other I would have gone completely insane by now.

slb said...

Yay for having a Christmas tree! :-) I got one too, my first "own" Christmas tree in my own apartment. :-)

Stryder said...

Hello there, Ms. SBP--I just wanted to join CT in letting you know that I'm reading, though alas I have no equally witty reference to your blog title. Also, if putting up a Christmas tree by yourself ever makes you feel lonely: be thankful that you're in a country where you're not one of the only people doing so! Take care.

Marianne said...

Sheesh.
Let's all hug now. Group hug. Biiiig group hug.

SBP--you realize that in blog-land, our roles have been reversed: i'm the scary imposing one and you're the sprightly concilator.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....