Saturday, July 15, 2006

unexpected powers of extraordinary good luck or coincidence, if one believes in such things

This week I got notice from amazon that the newest Sufjan Stevens album, which I preordered, had been shipped to me, and was due by the 17th.

As I was pouring coffee for breakfast at 12:30 p.m., since Leigh Ann and I stayed up all night to finish the last season of Buffy, I said to her, "I want my Sufjan Stevens album. RIGHT NOW."

We carried our breakfasts down the stairs to eat at the patio table on the porch. Perched on my mailbox was the album.

The mail comes at 12:30.


Okay. Now. *cracks knuckles, rubs hands together, blows into them*

I want a job. RIGHT NOW.

3 comments:

la persona said...

Sarah, here's a tip, and (correct me if I'm wrong), I speak for both Sonia and myself:

SAT tutoring. For entry level jobs, you can't get much more sexy than that. At least in my neck of the words, all of the tutors were upper-level grad students in ultra-cool programs such as philosophy and linguistics. Of course, you have to score in the top, what is it - 5%? - on either the SAT or ACT, and you'll probably start part-time, without benefits. But it is a job, and flexible and not all that difficult to get (if you play it right). In my town, starting pay @ Kaplan is $12.50/hr ($6/prep) and The Princeton Review is between $17-21 (my personal preference). I.e., not bad at all :). It's worth a shot, anyhow, if only to hold you over til something else comes along.

Good luck with your search.

Music Trades said...

Unless I'm imagining things (it's been a few months), Kaplan's starting pay in my neck of the woods was about $20 an hour, with prep time and test proctoring paying about half that. And you only needed to score in the top 10%.

I haven't taught in a while because it wasn't working out with my other work schedule, but I liked it enough that I'm hoping to at least do some subbing or proctoring one of these days.

Anyway, Sarah, I don't know if this is at all what you have in mind, but I think you'd be good at it. Happy hunting.

Marianne said...

Are you ALIVE?!
Help a person out and write an email once in a while. I have nothing to do here but worry about things back at home and check the progression of my tan. I'm out of books to read and it's too hot to start writing my own.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....