Thursday, January 04, 2007

adulthood

I was going to tell you all something amazing, something you'd never heard or thought of before, or at least, if you had, and you probably have, not in the words I was going to use. I was going to illuminate for you all some trace of the sublime to tuck in your pocket or hide under your pillow, I was going to pen a phrase so charged with song that it would haunt you for the rest of the week and burn your tearducts when you sat alone in your car, I was going to write the final line of a novel that's never been written, and write the story backwards for you, so that, mesmerized by the end in beginning, you might not have left your computer for hours, forgetting that you're tired and bored, that your back hurts, that your life isn't what you imagined when you were fourteen writing letters to yourself at twenty-four, because when you're fourteen you don't think of bills to pay and pets to feed and apartments to clean and dinners to reheat, or evenings spent curled under the caresses of light and sound waves from the television, or cell phones swallowing their battery power on the coffee table in stillness.

I was going to ease the tension in your eyes by delivering a word of that profound truth most of us can't quit hoping to find, that truth which no genus of doubt or mockery can deny, the truth that kisses faith on the forehead and lays it finally to rest. I was going to do it. I had it all ready.

But that was only what I wanted, and real life is a narrative of a different profundity, and it's time for bed.

2 comments:

Adam the V said...

Well, despite not not sharing the profound revelation you hinted at, you kept me reading until the end! Very poetic, especially the line about the TV. Interestingly, I misread it at first as "carcasses" of light and sound waves." Which, to use a dictionary.com defination, is "Remains from which the substance or character is gone." That's how I see most TV :)

The Prufroquette said...

Ooo, me likey!

And thanks. :)

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....