Tuesday, February 20, 2007

a season of discipline

My Lenten vows:

1.) Get up every weekday morning at five o'clock.

2.) Spend NO money on anything that does not directly relate to food, bills, or basic necessities. This means I won't be buying, renting, or going to see movies; buying books of any kind; purchasing home improvement gadgets, knick-knacks, or antiques; paying for new music. (That last one is going to hurt -- well, they're all going to hurt, but music is on deck for what I start buying next.) I'm trying to include eating out, although that directly relates to food; I want to exercise more hospitality in having people over to eat fabulous food in my homey apartment.

I'm going to attempt to observe the Lenten season in the no-meat-on-Friday deal as well, which will be an excellent opportunity to prepare some of the mouth-watering fish dishes I've been eyeing out in my various cookbooks but have been too cowardly to attempt.

So I went to the store today and bought a lot of picture frames (hey, people drink a lot on Fat Tuesday, right?) to settle down with. I want a Dali Wall in my bedroom. And that'll be it for awhile.

I guess if I really wanted to hurt myself, I'd start hanging out a lot at Borders and Barnes & Noble; but I'm not THAT ascetic (or that disciplined). I'll just avoid those places like the plague and pretend they never existed, and all of my cookbooks appeared ex nihilo in the kitchen.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I applaud your Dali wall idea. When I visited Paris a few years ago, I went to a great Dali museum there. I was familiar with some of his stuff, but he had a whole series of scripturally-inspired artwork that I had been utterly unaware of, and it was AMAZING! Apparently he'd start by flicking ink spots on the page and then go from there, moving the ink around and adding (if I'm not mistaken) watercolors, and seeing the whole series was just unbelievable. I don't know if you could get prints of any of those -- it's not his best-known stuff, by any means, so it might not be reproduced so much -- but I'd recommend looking into it.

The Prufroquette said...

I LOVE his religious artwork. "Christ of St. John of the Cross" blows me away, and I love his Last Supper. And now I'm obsessed with his "Pieta."

There's something about his style -- it's so CLEAR -- that makes you feel like you're looking at reality for the first time, and what you're living in is, in Lewis terms, the Shadowland.

I'm so jealous you got to see them up close and personal!!!

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....