Saturday, July 21, 2007

plans gone awry

I had planned on doing a few things this weekend. I had planned, for one thing, to attend the midnight release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on Friday. I had planned to clean my house this morning. I had planned to go to a get-to-know-you-dinner-church-thing. I had planned to read Harry Potter slowly, to savor this, the final book.

But I was too tired to go to the midnight release. I went to bed instead. So today, I only did three things. I went to the bank to deposit my paycheck. I went to Borders to buy my reserved Harry Potter (where, happily, I ran into Meg and Phillip -- lovely strange arrangements of space and time). The line was negligible. I was out of the store in ten minutes. No one shouted spoilers. I was grateful.

And I read Harry Potter. I couldn't stop reading.

I finished it in nine hours. It was Beautiful.

5 comments:

Rainey said...

Holy cow! I'm only on page 100! I really hope no one spoils it before I finish!! Crap! What am I wasting time typing this comment for!? Back to reading! Ciao!

The Prufroquette said...

LOL!!!

Enjoy!!

Music Trades said...

Impressive! I myself imagine that I'm ripping through it and then look up and see I must be going at a snail's pace. I got my book a little after noon yesterday, read with few interruptions until about 1 a.m., woke up this morning and read some more, and I'm still only about 2/3 of the way through. I've emerged from my cocoon to forage for some food and pick up my car from the shop, but I'm ready to stick my fingers in my ears and start humming loudly if any little kids in the supermarket are talking about the ending. It's kind of like trying to get around with a basilisk on the loose.

Hopefully I can finish tonight since, on a lark, I offered to write a freelance review for my former employers.

none said...

I'm borrowing it from a coworker tonight b/c I can't afford hardcover books. I'm so afraid someone will spoil it for me!

The Prufroquette said...

Hahahaha, that's why I read it so fast -- so there's no danger of spoilers! :)

Also because I'm compulsory and couldn't put it down.

It worked out well -- getting it at noon on Saturday and reading all day, instead of getting it Friday night and reading it all night, meant that I returned to work this week having maintained something like a regular sleep schedule. I felt unintentionally responsible and adult.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....