Monday, August 27, 2007

Monday moldrums

That's the word I've invented for the day. "Doldrums" is way too strong, and there isn't a word quite suitable enough, so now I have one. "Moldrums." It sort of evokes a nicely flat, cruddy blahness, nothing nearly deep or dark enough to be despair, but just the sort of Monday feeling that makes you want to flick the alarm button off and roll back under the covers and pretend the day never started. Moldrums. Like a potato slowly going bad in the dark of the pantry, collapsing and getting wrinkled and losing its firmness and starting, just a little bit, to stink, to give off that weird "what's that smell" odor that makes you wonder what's lurking behind the door, when the day outside the kitchen window is bright and sunny. Moldrums. A word of contrast, when nothing can account for the present state of "meh" but you feel "meh" anyway, when you feel that you ought to feel chipper and feel just a little guilty that you feel "meh" instead.

Yup. Moldrums.

Fortunately I have the office mostly to myself, so I can molder in the moldrums to my heart's content...and maybe put a little of my new music on without disturbing anyone. :) Gotta take your perks where you can grab 'em.

Bah. Mondays. Why are there never enough hours to sleep on the weekends to make you ready for Mondays? Tuesdays are fine. Wednesdays are great. Thursdays are splendid. Fridays are celebratory. But Mondays?

Moldrums.

2 comments:

Music Trades said...

You mean the days when your voice sounds like it's coming from underwater? When you realize you don't like your shirt after you've already put it on and worn it to work? When your hair is flat and your eyes itch and your clothes feel damp from the underpowered dryer?

I have those too. Moldrums! Love it!... or... meh... normally I would.

none said...

I feel ya sister.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....