Saturday, August 15, 2009

squeeeeeee!

I'M GOING TO SEE SUFJAN!!!

I have wanted to see him in concert forever, but have never lived close enough to a venue where he toured to make it feasible.

Yesterday I got the newsletter email from Asthmatic Kitty with the glorious news that Sufjan is finally going on tour again, and, glory of glories, one of the venues is in Cleveland -- just an hour and a half away.

The limited tickets went on sale this morning, so I rolled out of bed, made a cup of coffee and sat at my computer gripping my mug and staring at the time, waiting, waiting...

...and waiting...

Evidently the venue hadn't activated its link.

So then it became a cat-and-mouse game. I opened up multiple windows the better to refresh with in case web traffic got too heavy for going forward/back, loaded the link onto my phone, and kept on checking while I made breakfast (Eggy in the Basket, yummm).

In the end, I win. My former bookstore coworker Steph also discovered Sufjan this past winter, and when I texted, Wanna go? she responded, I'm so there! Which is awesome, because, though I would gladly have gone alone, I prefer to share great experiences.

It was a roughish kind of week, mostly (Meg told me she's been reading my blog in the morning while she eats breakfast, and I said, "Oh, no -- that's some heavy morning reading," and she said, "I've been getting concerned," and I laughed and told her, "And my posts have all been upbeat compared to how I'm really feeling," to which she said, "Oh no..." But laughter is healing and it was good to talk with her), and getting to see the musical artist I most revere (I love Conor. I adore Conor. I identify with Conor. I adulate Sufjan) has me excited to be gaining something that almost looks like a life, and an enjoyable one at that.

And the tickets are so fricking cheap, too. One more reason to love Sufjan.

Yay yay yay!

4 comments:

Trey said...

He comes to my town, but I don't find out until I read it here. Alas, it is sold out. Oh, fates. Why are you so cruel?!
Let me know if your friend falls ill or sustains serious injury, and I'll totally take her ticket.

Trey said...

and/or: if you need a place to stay, the concert's laughably close to my place.

The Prufroquette said...

Alack, this should teach you only to peruse my blog occasionally.

And you're totally hoping my friend falls under a bus, aren't you? Aren't you?

(Well, if she does, you're the first alternate concert attendee I'll be calling.)

And thanks for the offer of lodgings! I'm scheduled to work the next day, but if that plan changes, I'll definitely let you know.

P.S. I got a new phone number. I'll text you.

none said...

I. AM. JEALOUS.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....