Monday, November 29, 2004

the finer things, oh yes.

I bought lipstick today.

Now, buying lipstick isn't like buying milk. You don't just go in and grab it and leave. Or at least, I don't. Usually it's been so long since the last time I bought lipstick that they've stopped making what I had before. So I have to start from sratch. Which is usually brand name. Do I do Maybelline or Cover Girl? (Both.) Okay, then I squint at the rows of lipstick looking for the right name or color.

I'm too tired to make this terribly interesting, but I want to say three things. 1.) I'm the skeezy kind of lipstick shopper who marks each potential selection on her hand. Completely unashamed, as well. You think that's gross? Why do you try on bathing suits? 2.) I bought two new red shades, one of which I think I like. 3.) Cover Girl had a shade called Port. It looked terrible on my skin. I was so sad.

(I'm spending Christmas with the Sommervilles!!!)

2 comments:

Fayme Zelena Harper said...

I love lipstick but I keep murdering it in my purse or in my car. Thank goodness for lipstick brushes, because then even broken or melted lipstick is never wasted.
I do love the two coat long lasting lipsticks that don't come off on costumes. I know it's expensive but it's amazing how often it ends up in the sale bins as colors are discontinued.
And I love those little sampler lipsticks. They remind me of fairy lipstick.

Music Trades said...

Okay, I put up with not being able to comment on blogger blogs for a while, but now that you've gone and posted about hair and makeup I can no longer resist.

I too am a skeezy lipstick connoiseur who can no longer find the kind I want, and nobody else makes the right color. Surely I'm not the only person in the world who wants to buy raspberry lipstick?

But I have a slightly embarrassing lipstick story. It was a Friday in our last semester at GCC. I went in that morning to talk to Dr. Potter about my independent study, went to lunch, etc, etc.... I was freshening up for my 1 o'clock class when I realized I couldn't find my lipstick, so I left and figured I'd find it later. Right before Modern Poetry, Dr. Potter came up to me holding what looked suspiciously like my lipstick, said he'd found it on the floor of his office and asked whether it was mine. I don't know if I'd been the only girl in his office so far that day or if he recognized the shade, but my first horrified reaction was to try to look as though I'd never seen it before in my life. Then again, I did want the thing back, so I finally agreed that, yeah, it was probably mine. So he said, "Well I promise it isn't mine." I said, "I believe you."

- Sonia

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....