Tuesday, June 05, 2007

"These Mashed Potatoes are So Creamy"

I had the privilege of serving this recipe to a couple of friends last night, and judging by the rate at which they disappeared (the potatoes, not the friends -- I'm not running a cannibal camp or a Cooking House of Horrors here), I thought I ought to share.

Ingredients:
3-5 lbs. Idaho baking potatoes
1/4 c. milk
1 stick butter
1 package Philadelphia cream cheese
plenty of salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into eighths. Place in large saucepan and just cover with water. Sprinkle with salt. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, until soft (20-35 minutes).
2. Drain. If you're a cheater like me and have a Kitchenaid, place the potatoes in the mixing bowl. If you're a psycho antique shopper like me and happen to have an antique potato masher (those things are THE CURE for lumpy potatoes), use it to mash up the potatoes until thrillingly smooth. If you're a normal person, use a fork. It won't get out all the lumps, but it will be close enough.
3. Add a splash of milk, half a stick of butter, and the entire package of Philadelphia cream cheese to the potatoes. Put the mixing bowl in the stand mixer and use the whisk-like mixer head. Set the mixer on speed 3. (Or, if you're not a cheater like me, use a hand mixer.) Once all the ingredients are blended, add the rest of the butter, and begin to add the salt and pepper.
4. Adjust the seasoning and add more milk as desired.

The result? A dish worth dialoguing about in Hollywood. Perfectly reheatable. So creamy.

6 comments:

none said...

I've never tried adding cream cheese. Excellent idea. I'll have to try this!

The Prufroquette said...

You won't regret it! I hope you like! :) It's perfect with fried chicken in summer.

Anonymous said...

A dash of McCormick's Steak or Chicken seasoning also adds a unique zest to mashed potatoes.

But, really? It's the Idaho potatoes, baby!

Mair said...

mmmmm...cream cheese. i'm sold already.

The Prufroquette said...

Ah, that's right! My fellow cream cheese enthusiast! :) I always counted on your support when people stared at me in horror for loving it so much in college.

Porkchop said...

Yes! This is the best secret to potatoes, evah. (Sour cream is also dandy.) And lots of pepper.

The nice thing about the cream cheese is that when you eat these potatoes naked at midnight in front of the fridge, they are just as creamy. None of that awful chilled chalky potatoe taste.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....