Sunday, June 03, 2007

undesperate houseperson

Since getting my Dyson from my wonderful parents when they came to visit, my housekeeping has been revolutionized. Suddenly it's fun to vaccuum, and the broom is facing indefinite retirement. The bare floors are cleaner than they've been in a long time, and my back doesn't ache afterward with bending over the dustpan. Sweet.

Well, one is never satisfied with merely one kind of convenience, so this week I broke down and bought a Swiffer WetJet. Anything to make the mopping of the kitchen, entryway, and bathroom floors easier. I put it together just now and mopped -- and what a cinch. Delight! Joy! Time savers and efficiency untold!

It also eases that part of my mind that has always been unquiet about dumping Lysol water down the tub. I know there are earth friendly cleaners out there, but I've never found them to be terribly effective. The Swiffer-ma-bobber sponge pad thingie absorbs all the liquid and the dirt, and you just dispose of it when you're done. (Yes, I know, it's still waste, but it's not toxic liquid waste that could easily seep through the century-old piping systems of my historic neighborhood into the surrounding soil.) My mind is more at ease.

And my house is cleaner quicker, and the floors drier faster! Huzzah!

3 comments:

E.A.P said...

I'm trying to swap one product out at a time around here. I bought an O Mop from Method. Pretty cool. You buy their floor cleaner and you don't have to rinse, so you just squirt the cleaner on the floor and use the re-usable microfiber mop cloth. They're hard to find, but if you still feel bad about the Swiffer, they might work. Oh, and Ecover Lavender Stain Treatment gel rocks. Also smells like heaven, if you like lavender. I may not mop my floors often enough, but I never hesitate to stain treat. One battle at a time.

The Prufroquette said...

Where does one buy these Method products? South Bend seems to have a line on the Kill-the-Earth products, but the Save-the-Earth ones are harder to find...I'll have to start haunting the special grocery stores, like Harmony Market.

And I LOVE lavender. Nothing like.

It IS so nice not to lug the yucky bucket of gray cat-hairy mop-water around anymore, though. Or pour it down the tub and wait forever to rinse all the nastiness into the drain catcher. Spray, sweep, strip, toss. Ahh.

Anonymous said...

Target seems to have a pretty good stock of Method products every time I walk into one of their stores.

Also, Costco will occasionally sell three-packs of their hand soap.

This would've been a great question for the Method League if it still existed.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....