Wednesday, June 04, 2008

escapades in the kitchen: burgers

One of the best things about warm weather is grilling.

It's just so OPPRESSIVE cooking in the kitchen when the weather turns hot -- even more so if, like me, you have a small kitchen with less ventilation than a tomb. Besides which, there's really no comparison between looking out a window and being outside the window. (Get me Out of Doors in summer, as much as possible -- and one of the best assets of my house is its wide, gracious covered front porch, where I can sit in comfort even in a downpour.)

Yesterday, feeling an aversion to the indoors and a distinct laziness about having to fiddle with stovetop knobs and run up the indoor temperature, I bought a couple pounds of ground beef and went to work making hamburgers.

(Now, one thing any of my readers must realize is that I. Love. Meat. Beef, pork, lamb, venison, poultry, fish -- I love it all. I will occasionally go vegeterian for a short period of time, because it feels lighter, but on the whole I enjoy using my incisors, eyeteeth and canines for their intended purpose.)

I decided to try something a little different from my usual method of seasoning the outside of the burger; this time, I thought, I'd season it all the way through.

There are no real measurements, and working with raw meat is always interesting because you don't know what "to taste" means until after you've cooked it. I recommend going with your instincts. Here's what I put in:

- seasoned salt
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ground black pepper
- ground red pepper
- ground cumin
- Worcestershire sauce
- sherry vinegar

I placed the ground beef (80/20 -- lean beef, unfortunately, doesn't make very good burgers; the fat makes the flavor) in a large mixing bowl, added all seasonings generously, until I could start to smell it (meaning it was quite well seasoned, since the smell of raw meat is a bit overwhelming), and mixed everything together by hand. The rest was as usual: form into patties, season the tops with a little more Worcestershire sauce, and grill.

I found that I could make about eight burgers out of the two pounds of ground beef. Being inordinately indolent after work, I decided to vacuum seal and freeze the leftover patties individually -- that way all I have to do is throw one in the fridge in the morning, and throw it on the grill when I get home from work.

And doing it all that way is a LOT cheaper than buying the premade burger patties in the store.

Plus the flavor of the meat and the mixed-in seasoning was EXCELLENT. The burger barely needed condiments.

6 comments:

none said...

Mixing the spices in is definitely the way to go. One of my sisters manages to mix the perfect combo of flavors when she makes burgers. I think her key ingredient is worcestershire sauce too.

My other sister makes these awesome souped up burgers that I made for a bunch of friends, and I think every guy in the room instantly fell in love with me. lol. You fry up bacon and crumble it into the raw meat (I used turkey, but beef is obvs just as good), and then her method involves making a pocket for the cheese, but I just put the cheese on top b/c hey, burgers are supposed to be easy. You butter and toast your rolls, slather them in ranch dressing, and layer slices of avacado on top of the burgers. MMMM. Bacon makes everything better. My fave burger has bacon, cheddar, and bbq sauce on top.

The Prufroquette said...

Oooooooooo my journey into the way of stuffed burgers has begun!!!

Thanks for the tips!!

Anonymous said...

I also like to add onion flakes.

Anonymous said...

With ultra lean beef it works best if you cook the patties from frozen (yeah, I know this is against burger purism) and at a high temperature.

Phil said...

You're right: worchestershire is the key. And diced onions.

So much for the secret family recipe.

I'm intrigued by the sherry vinegar, though. Quite inspired...

The Prufroquette said...

Heh. I'd almost despaired of finding it -- I needed it for some of my Spanish recipes, and none of the conventional grocery stores stocked it (even the nicer conventional grocery stores) and it's EXPENSIVE online.

But then at an old friend's recommendation I ducked into a tiny, granolaic specialty grocery store called Bamber's (delightful, delightful place. Red lentils? They've got it. Weird pasta? That too. Pickled green beans? Oh yeah) and they had it. Lots of it.

I was thrilled. It's got something to it that's a little more than balsamic. And it goes well with just about anything.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....