Thursday, June 12, 2008

the (fire)burn(s)out

I’m quite close to being Caught Up at work.

Of course, since I worked overtime and pushed myself too hard, the usual slide from energy on Monday to exhaustion on Friday has taken place much more intensely than usual. Today, for example, I slept in forty minutes, drank half a pot of coffee before the end of my first hour at the office, endured the bizarre combination of physical hype and mental comatoxicity that followed, developed a foul mood, stared glassy-eyed at the television over lunch, and dragged around for the rest of the day. I accomplished what I needed to, but it required every ounce of will just to exist in the present.

Well. Tonight I plan to absorb more episodes of Boomtown, which Eigh Ann loaned me, and which I’m mesmerically enjoying, over a rapidly assembled Everything Salad which requires little energy (mine OR the stove’s) and therefore radiates no additional heat. I plan also to abolish stress vibes by petting the cat, who has been more then usually affectionate – last night he took up his place on the ottoman and slept with an enormous happy smile on his feline face, stretching out every now and then so as just, delicately, to brace his paws on my foot.

And then, oh then, an early bedtime.

2 comments:

Yax said...

Can we petition the OED to add comatoxicity to the next edition?

(I just googled it, and this very post is the only place it showed up on the whole internet. That's a neologism if ever I heard one.)

The Prufroquette said...

Sweeeeet! Sweet sweet sweet. I was hopeful but uncertain...

:)

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....