Wednesday, June 04, 2008

we can only

I love the beginning of summer.

It has finally reached the point where even rainy days hold warmth, and that muggy haze which will torment us later on, but which I absolutely welcome right now.

Everything smells like steamed clover today -- I think the smell of clover and the taste of peaches are the essence of summer. And summer in Michigan is quite a thing to behold -- everything seems to radiate joy. Everywhere you go there are fresh fruit and vegetable stands, more beaches than can be counted, hand-dipped ice cream shops, green things, sun-baked fields, blue skies, and more sunshine than a person reasonably knows how to handle.

And for reasons perhaps not inexplicable, my musical tastes return to bluegrass in summer, particularly Gillian Welch. I think the thought of sitting on a porch, or at a campfire, or on the beach, strumming a guitar and singing simple songs of the Americana tradition holds a magnetic appeal.

I MUST learn the guitar. Since at present I can't afford actual lessons, the next best option is to teach myself -- a trip to Borders hovers in the near future. I pulled out my guitar on my lunch break this afternoon and tuned it for the first time in months (poor guitar). I'm even looking forward to the blisters on my fingertips.

Annnd Emmylou is releasing a new album in six days! Absolutely splendid.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Guitar tip for ya - try the software at www.musicked.com - start with unit #1 - read the lesson material, quiz yourself on the concepts, complete a worksheet or two and then apply what you've learned to the guitar. Software also includes cool play alongs and a complete support package that makes the $10 well worth it. I know, I helped develop the material!

good luck :)

e

The Prufroquette said...

wow, thanks!!

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....