Monday, November 17, 2008

little notes of happiness

I can't wait for the Christmas season. It's all snowy and gorgeous here.

Song of the Day: "White Horse," by Over the Rhine, from Snow Angels. Love the harmonies at the end. The whole album is spectacular; I've been playing it all day.

I do this thing with singing along to music, which is finding a harmony that, if possible, no one on the track is singing. This probably annoys people, so mostly I listen to music alone. But living in the fullness of a beautiful chord is one of my little joys, and I love to do it over, and over, and over. (Current song of choice for this exercise: "Hard Times," by Eastmountain South.)

And the piano has been begging me to play Christmas songs on it. In my family this was our only escape from the No Christmas Music Before Black Friday rule: "But Daddy, I have to, I need to practice!" Sometimes I think Kerry assigned us Christmas music at the beginning of November for that very reason. (Favorite Christmas song to play: "Do You Hear What I Hear?" arranged by Jim Brickman. Simple but fun.)

1 comment:

none said...

I read your phantom post and it touched me. It really gives me a lot to think about and confront in myself. My mom's history is similar to your pastor's and I've accepted a lot of her notions about Catholicism that I know are biased. Thanks for sharing your feelings Sarah. I hope things are going well for you in PA. :)

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....