Thursday, January 29, 2009

latest music obsession

A few years ago, I received a music recommendation from MP, who'd received it from the inestimable Kelly: Funnel Cloud, by Hem. I purchased the album on one of my summer music sprees (I know this is a world of downloading, but call me old-fashioned: I like to be able to hold the things I own. I like tangibility) and loved it, and subsequently bought two of their previous albums, Rabbit Songs and Eveningland.

But I never got around to seriously listening to those other two albums, until now. And I can't get enough of Rabbit Songs.

This album in particular sports a gorgeous Aaron Copeland influence, full of open chords and fifth intervals and stringed instruments that carry your mind somewhere else. So I love it for that. Lyrically it's gorgeous, and Sally Ellyson's voice is peerless. The other attribute of this work that makes me love it even harder is its authenticity: There is absolutely zero digital screwing around. It's all recorded and produced full-bodied and present, with real orchestral instruments which one of the head members sold most of his possessions to obtain because he believes so strongly in actual, as opposed to digital, music.

Fabulous stuff. Very Americana, delicate and lovely, with a hard bedrock of real life in the lyrics and a longing in the chords. Incredible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Rabbit Songs.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....