Wednesday, March 11, 2009

yum.

I felt like inventing something last night. Partly I wanted to test the assertion of a couple of conversations I'd had this week in which people stated that everything tastes better with butter and cream (which I already believe anyway); partly I felt nostalgic for the many evenings I spent at Meg and Phillip's learning to freewheel sauce recipes, the three of us crammed into their long galley kitchen chopping vegetables, stirring onions and fiddling with meat while the Michigan summer breeze brought a piney freshness through the window over the sink.

With those memories unwinding pleasantly in my head, I decided against my usual approach, which runs to the Mexican side of the cuisine spectrum, and went for something more akin to Europe. This is what I came up with:

The Chicken at the Corner of Butter and Cream

1. Prepare frozen boneless skinless chicken breast(s) in a small skillet. Heat butter and olive oil, add chicken breast(s) (they don't need to be thawed) and season with dried basil, dried thyme, dried oregano, ground red pepper and seasoned salt, to taste. Cover skillet, turn heat to low and cook 30-60 minutes until golden-brown and tender. Set aside.

For the sauce:

2. Prepare 1 packet alfredo sauce mix in a small saucepan according to packet instructions. Simmer on low heat 10-20 minutes longer than called for to thicken well. Set aside.

3. In a large skillet (I prefer cast iron), sauté 1 large red onion, chopped, and 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped, in plenty of butter and olive oil until onion is soft and translucent.

4. Add 6-8 oz. fresh button mushrooms, sliced, to the onion and red bell pepper and cook over medium heat 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat slightly, add 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped, and cook until softened. Season with dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, ground red pepper, seasoned salt, and dried thyme, to taste.

5. Increase heat, add 1 can cream of mushroom soup and stir until blended. Simmer one minute, then add enough white wine to thin the cream of mushroom. Add 1 can black olives, drained.

4. Add alfredo sauce mix and several oz. pesto and stir. Adjust the consistency and the balance of smoothness and sharpness in flavor by adding a combination of white wine, butter, milk and heavy whipping cream, to taste. Add a dash of white wine vinegar, if necessary.

5. Stir in a handful grated Parmesan cheese and adjust seasoning. Serve over pasta (I like bowtie). You can chop the chicken and mix it into the sauce, or serve it whole alongside the pasta and sauce.

This meal is incredibly rich -- a little goes a long way -- but oh, is it yummy. Simon wished he were human last night so that he could try some.

3 comments:

none said...

Take out the olives, and that sounds great!

The Prufroquette said...

What is this spreading prejudice against olives? Meg doesn't like them (and she's Greek!). Dustin doesn't like them either, and I didn't realize, until I tried not cooking with them, how often I cook with them. I love olives on any occasion. Black, green, kalamata, pimiento-stuffed, garlic-stuffed, feta-stuffed, almond-stuffed, red pepper-stuffed, marinated, cooked, plain...

I like them, Sam-I-am!

none said...

If you love olives, you may like this recipe from the Pioneer Woman for olive cheese bread.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....