Monday, February 07, 2005

unnnnnnnnnnnggghhhhh

So ridiculously tired. I slept for eleven hours last night (thanks, Tolkien, every time I type "eleven" I try to type "elven" first) and today I still felt like I'd been hit by a truck. (Maybe the squirrel's aura followed me home and is punishing me.)

Valentine's Day is coming. It's coming like Santa's big red ass down an unsuspecting kid's chimney. There are TV commercials (my punishment for watching TV) about love, dating, flowers, chocolate...

Blech.

I forget about it successfully every few hours and then it leers at me again.

Monday, huh. One week. Well, it'll be over soon enough. I'm generally pretty content about being single, but February is an admittedly tough month for the single world. You start thinking about how nice it would be to have someone to snuggle with on the couch, someone to kiss your neck, someone to roll up against at night.

Now of course there are other things that come with all that...farting, toilet seats being left up, dirty underwear that isn't mine on the bathroom floor.

Someday, it'll be worth it.

4 comments:

Yax said...

I see that the Collegian is asking for "romance question[s] you're too embarrassed to ask your RA" for a special Valentine's Day column. I am so very tempted to send an anonymous and inane question just to see if I could get it published.

Evan said...

Totally agree with you on Valentine's Day. You can keep telling yourself it's just another useless Hallmark invented holiday, but it still gets to you.

For me December thru February is the hardest part of the year for me. Starting with my birthday and running thru Valentine's Day. That period of time encompasses Christmas and New Year's Eve (more "why are you single?" holidays). I can take being single most of the year but the heart of winter can be extremely cruel on my psyche.

Oh well, it's almost over and I've still mananged to be somewhat functional.

The Prufroquette said...

Matt: Ask something inane like When is it too soon to hold her hand? or What if I fart just as I'm going to ask her out? Then ask something perverse. At least you'll make the Collegian staff laugh.

Evan: At least with Christmas, everybody wins. Even the cat gets a present. Valentine's Day is like an exclusive yacht club. One that floats past the inner city riverbank so that all the destitute can see the glittering lights and laughter.

It's such a cheesy holiday. That's the worst part. It's not like if I had a boyfriend, Valentine's Day would be suddenly infused with deep meaning. Flowers would be nice, though.

I still maintain that if someone proposes to me on Valentine's Day, I'll tell him, "Ask tomorrow."

Gdog said...

Dude, email the dancers. It might get you a Valentine! Or a date even :) I'll drive you to Ottowa Valley!

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....