Wednesday, February 09, 2005

what are you eating?

Small apartment, evening. In the kitchen Sarah spreads generic peanut butter on a piece of French bread. Everybody Loves Raymond fills the background. Footsteps sound on the stairs and the lock in the apartment door clicks.

Sarah: [calling around the corner] Hi!

Marianne: [bursting around the corner after having been gone all day with an intense frown on her face] Are you eating enough meat?

Sarah: Uhh...

Marianne: When was the last time you had meat? You're not getting enough protein and I think you're tired all the time because you might be anemic.

Marianne shrugs out of her coat and dumps her bookbag on the floor and comes around the counter and begins pulling recipe books off the refrigerator. Sarah thoughtfully licks the peanut butter knife.

Sarah: Now that you mention it...

Marianne: Because I have all these recipes from home with meat and they're really super easy, here, look, there's Spicy Rice Skillet and Saturday Night Chicken, and there's Chicken Stir Fry which is really good, and that big bag of shrimp -- do you like shrimp? -- in the freezer only costs nine bucks and I've been eating it for like a month and a half, it lasts a long time.

Sarah: [thoughtfully and guiltily eating the iron-free peanut butter bread] I think maybe you're right. Okay. I'll make a meat dish this week and buy some chicken breasts soon.

Marianne: [shutting the recipe book] Good. Sorry. It was bothering me all the way home.


I think at some point after that we actually exchanged hello, how was your day greetings. I love my roommate. I don't know how not eating meat escapes my attention, but it does sometimes. See, I'm born to be an absent minded professor. Just not an anemic one.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Sarah, chicken is not a great iron source. Gotta go red. I'm anemic and not a big fan of red meat, I take a lot of iron.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....