Wednesday, June 08, 2005

run rabbit run

I'm waiting on a friend to arrive to help me unload the furniture Mom and Dad bought for me, which I cannot get into my apartment by myself. (Sigh. The only downside to being single...you can't lift everything.)

She's running late.

I am rather happy, though, having learned that I can throw away my ugly and superfluous loveseat on the premises, once I call the Borough (or whatever) of South Bend to arrange for special pickup. One large item per month you can have removed for free.

I broke a glass last night on my kitchen floor (I had lifted the drying rack momentarily to the floor to create some temporary sink space and the glasses crashed against each other and one shattered -- applause to my genius) and although I did not sustain serious injuries from looking down and realizing that I was standing barefoot among the remains of the glass, I have been picking up little sparkling slivers all night and my poor feet hurt.

And yow, my apartment is disgustingly hot. The landlord offered to help me install my new air conditioner, so I'm going to call him and see if he can do it on Saturday. (I don't expect this air conditioner to cool the entire apartment; just my bedroom, so I can sleep comfortably; I'll get a large window fan for the rest of the apartment, to suck in air through all the open windows.)

Smoking Neighbor Ted took a tumble down the stairwell yesterday, and I arrived home from running errands at the same time as the paramedics and the police. (Five police officers with drawn guns waved me and the woman next door aside; apparently this isn't the best neighborhood.)

So it was interesting. I'm tired and going to bed; maybe I'll conclude the Ted tale tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you like updike or is it just a random reference to him?

~neil

The Prufroquette said...

I don't know how I feel about Updike, I have to read more of him. It was more a random reference. (I like good titles.)

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....