Friday, April 21, 2006

bryter now

At least for the time being.

As I said in my comment to the last post (in response to the great input I received), I realized that one of the things that was crushing me the most was the sense of helplessness. And I'm NOT helpless.

So the new strategy is to spend as much time with people as possible. Wednesday night I hung out with the inestimable ThisWomanAlphabetical, yesterday I invited my two favorite coworkers over for lunch, and last night I watched Bon Voyage with MP's French class and then drove over (the reopened!!!) Douglas Road to eat colorful, cold roast vegetable loaf and exchange stories about how tired we were.

It's essentially a matter of being proactive and collaring the people I want to befriend, without hanging back from fear of rejection or looking pathetic. I NEED people. Therefore I will hunt them down. If they hate me, fine; I'll find people who don't. But most people don't hate me.

Plus I have been suddenly blessed with peace over a complicated situation with a guy I know (sorry for the vaguery; perhaps I'll spill more beans layter), and am reminded that I am very capable of bouncing back and recovering from the things that make me sad.

And I'm going to a cookout this weekend! Wheeeee!

3 comments:

none said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
none said...

Glad to hear it! I read an article on christianitytoday.com that made me think of you because of your last post and the one you made about community. Check it out here.

I'm going to try and take my own advice when I move to Chicago to make sure I make a variety of new friends; we'll see how that goes. :)

The Prufroquette said...

Wow, that article was fabulous! That's EXACTLY what I'm looking to do!

(Helps to know I'm not the only crazyperson out there, too.)

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....