Friday, April 07, 2006

forehead pressed against the glass

I'm taking a week's vacation from work, composed almost entirely of flex time from the long weeks I worked before the auction. The first two days I spent lying in bed wrapped in afghans, overcome with some mildly disgusting bout of the flu (mildly disgusting mostly because of the degeneration of my clean apartment -- you just can't wash things when you're sick), but on the whole it's been wonderful to relax and know that they're even listening to my voicemails and checking my email at work, so I don't have an endless string of backlogged communication to pick through when I get back.

I've been thinking about community. At church, and in one of the few decent albums by a Christian artist that I own, I've been hearing things like "my journey is my own" and "It doesn't matter if nobody loves me but Jesus." And in some respects, of course, that's true: We are fully responsible for our own lives, and if we find ourselves utterly friendless, we can count on the love of Christ. But statements like these disregard what I think is an essential principle in the Christian faith, and in human life across the board: community.

We weren't meant to live alone. The human being is a social creature, in constant need of contact with his/her own kind. And for each metaphor of individual race-running and watching oneself that appears in the New Testament, there are two metaphors for community, of coming alongside one another and of being a body (one unit, many parts). When Christ left his legacy to the apostles at his ascension, he founded, not a scattered group of individual mystics who went off by themselves into the wilderness to ponder great things, but a church.

When you look at the "secular" world (if you believe in a secular world; I don't, actually), it's the same: People need other people. Most have some kind of family to fall back on, which they often take for granted. (I've met a lot of people who go back home after college, or never left their hometown, so that they are continually surrounded by family; I think they fail to realize what a hole not having nearby family leaves in the lives of complete transplants like me.) Even some of my coworkers, who don't live close to their families, graduated from Notre Dame and so keep to their old, preformulated communities from college while they live in South Bend.

A dash of the closedness to strangers for which I have criticized the church at large (because the church should be the first place where barriers break down -- it was when it first began, or was challenged to be by recognizing the radical truth that "in Christ there is neither slave nor free, male nor female, Jew nor Gentile"), is present everywhere. People who already have fulfilled their need for a place among others generally aren't looking to include newcomers -- not, perhaps, out of an overt desire to ostracize or exclude, but out of a kind of tunnel vision that results from personal satisfaction: All of my needs are met, so why look further?

I hope that didn't sound at all nasty; it was only an observation. One of my saving graces while I try to settle in and work my way into the already-established communities of the worthwhile and interesting people I've met is the grad school. These are worthwhile and interesting people who are used to a flux in their community as new students enroll and old students leave, so they tend to have a mindset open to incorporating outsiders, newcomers, and loose affiliates.

My other, more permanent saving grace is Meg and Phillip. While rooted among family and longtime friends in their own community, they accepted me with a casual, firm familiarity that reminds me oftentimes of home. I invite myself over; they put me to work, feed me, and take me fun places around the area that I'm still getting to know. They helped me pick out, cut down, transport, and set up my Christmas tree. For several months, although I never actually used it, I had my own toothbrush at their house. We all call me "the second wife." We laugh and horse around and work and bicker like good friends and family do. And the beauty of it is, they're not going anywhere (at least anytime soon, that they've told me). They don't leave for the summer. They're not moving out of town. So they're a kind of above-ground root that I get to lean against.

Not to be all mushy or anything; but a single girl with no family in the area certainly appreciates the niches of belonging that she lands in. Building, or shouldering your way into, a community takes time, and I've only been here twenty months. But it's nice, while I try to put down some roots (this is scary, this roots thing -- I have no particular plans to settle permanently in South Bend, but I also don't have plans to go anywhere else for awhile -- and this weekend I'm signing a two-year lease, which is weird), to have two open places to go where I'm not standing on the outside looking in like a little lost soul.

And I'm off to try to forge some cleanliness out of the disorganized mess that has become my apartment.

8 comments:

lvs said...

This is off topic - not that I don't love reading about your days, and that I don't appreciate with you the joy of vacation - but we had a poetry reading last night of John Ashberry's "Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror." (By "we," I mean some people from the M.F.A. dept). Anyway, it made me think of you... only because you would have enjoyed it. Have a good weekend!

none said...

I've been thinking about this lately. I've always been excited about living in new places, gettign away from my family for awhile. I purposefully went to college 400 miles away. But I made a big decision lately that will have me moving from the East Coast to the Midwest, to an area of the country where I know NO ONE, and I will be living there for atleast 7-8 years. I went out to visit my new city this weekend, and it hit me how very alone it's going to feel unless I make a really concerted effort to find friends, a church, and a community that makes me feel like I belong. It's a little scary.

The Prufroquette said...

It's definitely scary. And I, at least, had MP to ease the culture shock (there is a little bit of culture shock) and the loneliness of moving without family and with only one friend into a brand-new area.

And it takes so much time to adjust...obviously I'm still working on it. And, though I'm now attending a great church (which I've attended in the past), that's going to take time, too. It certainly hasn't solved all of my social needs. Some days I still feel hopelessly adrift. Even as a person who treasures solitude, I still need to know that I belong somewhere before I retreat from it.

May I ask which city, or at least which state, you'll be relocating to? If it's even a few hours from South Bend, Indiana, then I'll steal (and adapt) a quote from The Man from Snowy River: "A man can be hard to find in the mountains [or flat Midwestern plains]. You're welcome at my fire anytime."

The Prufroquette said...

Oo, and Lindsay -- I just read "Self Portrait in a Convex Mirror" and it was extraordinary.

The lines "The time of day or the density of the light/Adhering to the face keep it/Lively and intact in a recurring wave/Of arrival" gave me chills.

none said...

I'm moving to Chicago. I have no idea how far that is from South Bend. I don't know much about Chicago at all except that it seems like a fun city, has similar weather to my beloved Boston, and will hopefully be worth this leap of faith that I'm taking. I chose a school in Chicago over a couple in New York (which I love, and which is way more familiar), so I'm really hoping that I will love the city, especially because I'm committed to an 8 year program. We shall see!

The Prufroquette said...

Awesome! You're going to be almost a neighbor! Chicago is about an hour and a half from South Bend, and is a truly fantastic city.

I've never been to New York, so I can't tell you how it compares, but there's a rich cultural life in Chicago, the Great Lakes, amazing restaurants, and lots of wind. (And oh, the shopping on Michigan Avenue...)

When do you move? MP and I love to bebop around the coolest city in the Midwest; maybe we can look you up!

none said...

I move July 1st. I'd love to meet some of the fab females. If you guys venture into Chicago later in the summer, let me know!

Marianne said...

I can't believe the Science Girl is moving to Chicago!
That's so exciting! I was just there this weekend to go to the Museum of Contemporary Art. Chicago is HUGE.
My one word of advice: never stop in Gary, IN. If you need gas, are bleeding from all of your orifices, or the car is on fire, whatever, do not stop there. You will grow a third eye the moment your foot hits the pavement.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....