Sunday, November 26, 2006

it's getting alarming

I spent all of yesterday hoeing out and organizing the bedroom closet and the pantry. I don't think I came fully awake until I was up to my knees and elbows in clothes I don't wear anymore. I blinked, looked around the room, saw it looking like Taz had thrown a birthday party for all his friends and progeny in it, and looked down at my hands busily emptying drawers and folding socks.

"How did I even start doing this?" I inquired of the cat. "All I meant to do was unpack!"

So today I threw a fit of rebellion against whatever force is rising up in me to make me incurably and frighteningly domestic and did nothing. The only productive (i.e. involving money) event of my day was buying a few groceries. Then I goofed around on the internet and knitted.

No! I wasn't knitting on my last day off! I wasn't! I was throwing candy wrappers all over the apartment and ordering pizza!

Okay, fine, I was knitting.

My trip home for Thanksgiving was marvelous. My extended maternal family was as crazy as expected, but, as my mother said, I was "serene and out of the way," so I didn't come to any harm or frustration. And the rest of the visit, with my parents, was great. I haven't been home in almost a year, and I haven't seen my folks since April, so it was a long time coming. And it was really, really nice.

It's an added bonus that when I go home, I get my own queen-sized bed. That's a considerable upgrade from what I'm used to.

1 comment:

LRuggiero_temp said...

Yay! :) I'm finding myself yearning for home after last week. Only 14 more days until my sentences is up.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....