Friday, January 25, 2008

Goodbye, Hoosierland

Today marks my official residency in the State of Michigan. I have acquired my plates, auto registration, voter registration, and driver license. I have nothing connecting me any longer to the State of Indiana; I'm a Michigander!

I thought I would list a few ways in which the State of Michigan demonstrates its superiority to the State of Indiana:

1. Michigan residents = "Michiganders." Indiana residents = "Hoosiers." Enough said.
2. Great Lakes. Michigan has many. Indiana has none.
3. Majority driver tendencies. Michigan: Extremely fast, continental travelers (Michigan has MINIMUM speed limits. Fantastic). Indiana: Barely brush the speed limit ever if at all, rarely travel within 100 miles of birthplace.
4. Vehicle excise tax. Michigan doesn't have one. Indiana does.
5. License plates:
a.) Cost. Michigan: far less. Indiana: far more.
b.) Material. Michigan: metal. Indiana: cardboard.
6. Grocery tax. Michigan: none. Indiana: lots.
7. Obtaining a driver license. Michigan: No written or road test required if you have a valid out-of-state license; the background for your photo ID is official-looking vinyl. Indiana: Makes you take the written test no matter what, and requires you to take it AGAIN every eight years; the background for the photo ID is a bath towel.
8. Countryside. Michigan: pretty, generally rolling, forested. Indiana: ugly, flat, bare.

More to come as they are discovered. I'm also ecstatic that next year I will finally only have to deal with one state in regard to my taxes. Big whomping sigh of relief.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....