Thursday, January 10, 2008

the little things

Tired today, but happy. I'm plowing through my RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults -- Catholic school) materials at a rate that astonishes me, mostly to stick it to my boss (who is my sponsor and supplemental instructor in this process), who thinks I'll be slower than I'm going to show him I am. Even twenty-six years into life, I'm still finding that spite is a great motivator. My brain enjoys the challenge, after twitching around in my skull virtually unused for the past (nearly) four years, getting mushy. As a result it is tired, along with my eyes, but fulfilled, like a nice big yawn and a stretch after a nap.

I also spent three hours this afternoon scrutinizing a couple of accounts at work. Not technically part of my job, but the fun thing about a small office is role-sharing. In that time slot, I hunted down a mistake that my then-colleague had committed eighteen months ago, which consequently screwed up two accounts. Meticulous, time consuming, frustrating...but oh-so-satisfying to decipher. Ah-HA. I found you. God, that colleague sucked.

Now it's time to close down the office and go grab a bite. Boss-Man's dog thinks he's alone in the office and is offering up a mournful litany of lonely complaints that sound mostly like howling. On some days when we all leave for lunch, we come back to an office that smells like dog breath. Neighbors say you can hear him all the way down the block. Cute dog, though. Standard poodle. Shy and talkative and klutzy and funny. Feet look too big for him, like a draft horse.

1 comment:

Mair said...

are you becoming Catholic?

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....