Thursday, March 06, 2008

monday on thursday

You know, like breakfast for dinner. Something traditionally assigned to one recurring point in time that happens at another.

So today is Monday on Thursday. (Anyone remember Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day?)

I was awakened in the wee hours of the morning by the sound of my refrigerator buzzing, grinding, whirring, and whining at the volume of an approaching Howitzer. I tried to go back to sleep with earplugs. I slept late. The noise was vibrating the entire house. I called the handyman. No answer. I called my landlord. No answer. The coffeepot at work stopped working (doooooom). I spent twenty minutes hunting down a file from 1981 which resisted discovery because the people who had filed it in the moldering cobwebby basement could neither read nor spell. I went to McDonald's on a coffee run for everyone in the office and waited so long at the drive-thru that I lost patience, parked the car and went inside and paid at the counter, which also took too long; and they screwed up the order.

Great stuff. When Monday isn't as bad as it usually is, I've learned to tread cautiously, because that means that the spirit of Monday has decided to resort to guerrilla tactics and will spring out at me from the cover of some other day.

The good news is that if my landlord won't return my call or replace the fridge (I hate the fridge anyway; the freezer doesn't self-defrost and the fridge has no drawers for convenient storage, the seal around the door is basically broken like worn-out elastic, and when I defrost the freezer it leaks water everywhere which is ruining the floor, so bring on a new fridge; it's just the timing that's poor because I have food stored in the freezer that I really, really need in order to eat over the next seven days, and my landlord notoriously dodges my calls), I'm going shopping this weekend and paying it out of the rent money he would have gotten over the next few weeks. The lease holds him responsible for repairs, and my lawyer said that's what I should do.

Reason number 842 why I would love to buy a house. But all in good time.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....