Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Yay!

My favorite author has a blog! (I've linked to it in the sidebar.)

I love Robin McKinley for her sense of humor, her vivid prose, her fabulous heroines and her dedication to life. I also love her for her proliferation. She just came out with Dragonhaven last year (which I loved), and this September is coming out with a new one! (Her books tend to come out around the time of my birthday, when I can buy them with my birthday money -- it's a fabulous present.)

She and Madeleine L'Engle are the authors I tend to turn to in default -- the books I read over and over until the covers are worn and the pages raggedy and the spines fall open to my favorite passages as soon as you lay them on the table. The worlds which McKinley creates are the ones I hate most to leave. I just want to stay there. So as soon as I finish with one I either mope around for a day lamenting the fact that I can't actually go to Damar, despite having read that same book about three hundred times, or I immediately dive into another one to stave off the Reentry Sorrow and manage to pack all the agony in for a really whoppingly bitter end. Nevertheless, any time I'm reading one of her books, I'm happy. Ridiculously, nothing-else-exists, I haven't eaten in ten hours but I don't want to leave this book for even a piece of cheese happy.

Anyway, she has a blog. I'm so happy. She's sarcastic and sardonic and wry and self-mocking and others-mocking and compassionate and human and normal and just delightful and funny.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....