Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Skin Prayer

My God, beneath my quiet face all is
a formless emptiness. The darkened horde
of pulsions cast upon the deep like mist
irrupt the Spirit’s generative word
and boil in my skin. My cyclic search
for their expression drives me to this mirror
to force with practiced fingernails the purge
of turbulent infection from the pores.
What language fails to speak I score in scars
of living hieroglyphs, their bloodless flush
to bear, with the slow burn of aging stars,
a witness of resistance to the crush
of void: a testament of genesis
which, lacking word, must cry to You in flesh.

8 comments:

Doug P. Baker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
none said...

Doug,

How fortunate that middle-aged men aren't beholden to the same beauty standards that young women are. I'm glad you're enjoying the patriarchy.

Phil said...

I think the point was missed.

none said...

It's too bad bloggers can't put a "scan for reading comprehension" control on comments. :)

Phil said...

In fact, I think the whole freakin' ballpark was missed.

Phil said...

And I concur completely.

none said...

I think anyone who really knows Sarah knew immediately what this post was about.

The Prufroquette said...

Um...yeah...it wasn't really a poem about vanity...any more than Hamlet's "to sleep, perchance to dream" was a soliloquy about a nap.

Thanks, gang...

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....