Friday, April 24, 2015

their legs are hair

Woke up sort of exhaustedly grateful that it's Friday and all I have to do is drag myself through one more day at work and then I can stop showering and putting pants on till Monday.  Simon was howling in my ear like an air raid siren, so I sat up and blearily turned on the light, whereupon my peripheral vision must have screamed at me because my eyes zeroed in on a very, very wrong-looking dark splotch on the wall across the room.

It was a centipede with a body bigger than my fucking thumb.

It remained perfectly still on the wall as I stared around the room in a kind of shellshock wondering what to kill it with.  I decided the cover of Virginia Woolf's The Waves would most easily wash off after the slaughter, so I crept very slowly across the room with a twentieth-century masterpiece clutched in my hands, readying it for use as a weapon.

But the damn bug was too high up on the wall to get a certain shot.  The last thing I wanted was to miss and watch it fall behind the dresser where it would doubtless scurry all over the floor.  Recalling the flyswatter I keep on the balcony, I sneaked out of the bedroom, fetched the swatter, and returned to the battle zone thoughtfully thwacking myself in the palm and wondering if I could get enough oomph to crush a giant nightmare.

My aim with a flyswatter is just horrible.  Carefully I got myself in position, eyed the centipede, gave a couple of experimental shakes like a golfer about to tee off, and let fly.

I missed.  The horror-legged thing started to move.  Desperately I struck again --

-- and centipede exploded all over my face.

Apparently their exoskeletons are a lot softer than those of wasps and spiders.  Waves of legs rippled away from the blast site on the wall, and jelly globules of bug guts flecked my skin.  Gagging, I rushed to the bathroom to get that shit off my face, wondering if maybe I should douse my head in bleach.

At least my mouth wasn't open.

So far in this daily writing project I've reflected on arthropods and Chris.  Maybe I should call this the Bugs and Boyfriend Blog.


2 comments:

Meg said...

Oh. My. God. OH MY GOD!!!??? Now I have to wash my face (and explain to Josie why I just gasped/screamed while I was supposedly sitting calmly at my computer "doing my homework").

The Prufroquette said...

Hahahaha. Awesome.

Yes, that is the true story of how my day began. The rest of it pretty much lived up to those auspicious beginnings.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....