Thursday, April 23, 2015

Under the Wire

Gah! Almost midnight and almost forgot to post. So I'm mobile blogging because I don't feel like turning the computer back on. Love the Blogger app.

Rough couple of days; relationships are complicated, and there's a lot going on generally. And I'm so fucking tired.

Went out for dinner with Chris's sister tonight - lots of fun. I like Missy. I like all of Chris's family. They're funny and warm and welcoming and I felt instantly at home with them.

I met them pretty early on. Chris came back to town for the Fourth of July, six weeks after we'd started our long-distance relationship and at least six weeks before we made the relationship official. He stayed with his parents the first night of the visit, so the next day I parked my rust-eaten 1999 Buick LeSabre on the street in front of his parents' magnificent house (thinking "oh my god, someone's going to call a tow truck") and rode with him to a picnic at his friend's place. When we returned at approximately 1 a.m., full of burgers and beer, we quietly transferred my picnic contributions from his car to mine while we worked out arrangements for him to come to my place shortly after. 

As he carried his cooler up to the house with his golden retriever, the Adorable Vinnster (generally known as Vinnie), pacing his heels, I was halted in the act of getting into the car by his parents' front door opening. Bright light tracked across the broad front lawn to my car and a voice called, "Come in!"

Chris said, "It's my mom." I heard nervousness and humor in his voice. Oh god I'm meeting his parents and it's really soon and I hope he'll still come over afterward because I want to rip his clothes off I thought as I crossed the lawn up the small slope to the door.

Debbie's eyes were bright and warm and assessing as she welcomed me. And then she invited me over for dinner the next day, after which I would have the strong and normal-surreal conviction that my family had just expanded.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....