Saturday, May 16, 2015

more stuff

SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED.
 
I'm completely fucking exhausted, but since I've been doing about as well with this "daily post" thing as I've expected, I figured I'd better get an update out there before I lose all resolve and fizzle into silence like I have for the last seven years.

So I passed all the necessary exams for my teaching job, which I just found out on Friday.  I've been waiting for the results for a month; I honestly wasn't sure what to expect, since the exams were a lot harder than I'd anticipated, and I haven't done high school math in like eighteen years.  The only real studying I did was a crash review in probability and statistics and trig with Chris over Google chat a few days before the tests.  (And you guys, my boyfriend is an amazing teacher and science/math communicator.)  I left the testing site a month ago shaking, weak and demoralized, certain that I'd have to retake all the tests (at about $150 a pop, so I was looking at another $300-400 if I needed to retake them all).

Of course everyone I know is spectacularly unsurprised.  It's both touching and a bit deflating.  I've been losing sleep over this for a month (omg, what if I failed and I fail the retests, then I won't be able to participate in the summer program and I'll never get a job, etc.), and when I got the passing scores I was like OMIGOD WAHOOOOOOOO and my friends and family are all like, "Yeah, and the sun came up today too."

I guess the real moral of the story is that I need to have the confidence in myself that everyone else has in me.  There's plenty of other shit to agonize over besides things that are probably ridiculous, like the notion that I might have failed a standardized test.

Also I found a roommate!  I'm still not really thrilled about needing a roommate - I LOVE living on my own - but I just can't afford it.  So, roommate it is.  She seems nice, and cool.  She likes cats and is a more quiet-preferring homebody who wants to be more adventurous, so that's a good place to start.  Also she uses Gmail, which automatically sets a higher baseline opinion of people as far as I'm concerned.

Now we just need to find an apartment.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Lol...her use of gmail impresses you. I want a post ranking people by their email addresses, hotmail, aol, yahoo etc.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....