Wednesday, March 14, 2007

there aren't enough apples in the world

Why is it so hard to find a good physician?

Let's take a quick survey, shall we?

High school: A crazy woman with an extremely uncomfortable physical presence who never told you what she was doing until she did it (first mammogram = blechy, scary, freaky, etc.).

College: A grumpy volunteer physician who hated his volunteer hours at the college clinic and overprescribed Vicodin for me in the days when I knew nothing about narcotics, thus sparking an unnecessary and terrifying detox period that I had to do on my own. (The stuff is addictive after three DAYS. He prescribed it to me for four WEEKS.)

South Bend Year 1: A series of free clinics (nod to no insurance), most of them actually not all that scary, but run by basically powerless doctors who could barely prescribe antibiotics.

South Bend Year 2: A doctor at a cheap clinic who told me I was bipolar after talking with me for two minutes and sent Mormon missionaries to my door.

South Bend Year 3: A doctor who did everything (chiropractic adjustments on my neck, prescriptions for mild pain relievers that made me sleepy at work) except prescribe a migraine medication...for my migraine.

This last gent isn't all that bad, but he isn't all that great either, and thanks to double-booking bumped me out of my appointment today (his secretary was exceptionally snotty in informing me. Okay, yes, I was late, I got what I deserved, but I didn't deserve that tone of voice. And I object to double-booking on principle). Which I made because the migraine is back. Grr.

So, being the hot-headed, proactive me that I am, I zoomed back to the office in a transmission-roaring rage and found a new family doctor. I see this next specimen on Monday. God only knows if that will be any better, but it's worth a shot.

Finding a good doctor is almost worse than finding a church. (Almost.) You never know what kind of person you'll run into -- a quack, a creep, an asshole, a fool, a blowhard, a megalomaniac, an incompetent -- the list goes on -- but you keep trying in the effort to find SOMEone who can actually help you, and whose staff utilize professionalism.

Of course, as I was informed by the accounts manager at one of the hospitals I'm paying bills for, medicine isn't an exact science. There's a lot of trial and error involved, and I get that. But surely a migraine medication for the worst headache of someone's life isn't too big a diagnostic leap? Particularly after the doctor has informed the patient that ongoing migraine disorder is a common development among women in their twenties?

Anyway. Now I have to check with my insurance to see if they cover the newbie. (They don't cover much of the current guy either.) I hope I wasn't rash. (Har.) I'm tired of being unthrilled with my physicians. The best one I've ever seen, and with whom I'm still a patient, is 3.5 hours away, at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor; but seeing him and missing an entire day of work just isn't practical unless it's an emergency.

Le sigh.

3 comments:

LRuggiero_temp said...

Yeah those doctors are crazy. I'm still on the home one, but I will start my wonderful search NEXT YEAR! Whoot whoot. But today! Today is a BONES DAY! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

The Prufroquette said...

THAT is the best medicine. :)

I can't believe my sanity will be restored to me this week via Bones and telephone avec toi. I've been feeling so weirdly depressed, and I realized today as I contemplated watching BONES that a lot of it is that BONES has been off-air for stupid AI.

BRING ON THE BOOTH AND THE BRENNAN!

none said...

Sorry Sarah. Given the grueling process of getting into and getting through med school, you'd think there'd be more consistent quality among physicians, but I know from my own experiences as a patient that it's just not the case. I had a bad experience with a doctor at the student health services here, which is actually just the internal medicine department. At the richest hospital in the city. Anyway, I hope you find a good doc. And as for that crazy mammogram lady... that's ridiculous. The sentence they pound into our heads again and again is "Talk before touch," especially for intimate exams.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....