Wednesday, May 16, 2007

is the alarm going to ring soon, or did this day actually happen?

Bad day. Really, really awful. I did a terrible screw-up at work -- I can't even articulate how bad it was -- and my boss was great about it, as always -- but I spent most of the afternoon on the verge of tears and wished I could turn myself into something about an inch tall so I could hide under the copier or get eaten by the dog.

I knew it wasn't going to be a good day -- I woke up twenty minutes before I had to leave, so no shower, no coffee, drove to work in a blazing hurry through the dissipating fog of bad dreams, had this awful sense of forboding all day, the temperature plummeted forty degrees overnight and was windy and sour and overcast. N.g.

Won't know for another month how bad it really was. So I'll be kind of on tenterhooks until then.

I need something very strong to drink.

It was one of those days of which I like to say, "This one was planned at a board meeting in hell. And somebody got a promotion."

3 comments:

Music Trades said...

Oh Sarah, I'm sorry. I had three or four of those days at the paper, and in one of my more literary moments decided to call them Rappaccini's Daughter Days, as in "I shouldn't be let out because everything I touch dies." Here's hoping it's not as bad as you think. Good luck, and enjoy that drink.

The Prufroquette said...

Ugh. It wouldn't be so bad but for the possible repercussions on others.

Rappaccini's Daughter Days -- what a GREAT title! I think I'll be adopting that one. I also style myself, though I'm not the first, obviously, to do so, the Anti-Midas on days like yesterday: Everything I touch turns to shit.

But today's a new one, I'm alchemizing all my worry into prayer, and taking the words of Christ to heart: "Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Truer words never spoken, eh?

And the champagne was excellent.

none said...

Sorry to hear about your day Sarah. I've had days like that myself. I wrote a blog post last year about a big mistake I made in the lab and how stupid I felt, but in the end, it really didn't matter, and when I left that job, my boss remembered only all of the great work I'd done, not the occasional boneheaded move. Keep your head up. :)

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....