Tuesday, October 30, 2007

veni vidi vici

I closed down the thrice-blasted mall last night (I HATE the mall -- it seems my adolescent eschewance of shopping malls has been exacerbated over time by having once nearly lived in one working my bones to the bone when I first moved to South Bend), but I came away triumphant. I have my jewelry (necklace, earrings: Target. Ring, bracelets: Macy's). I have my bustiere (Target). I have my shoes (Macy's).

The end does not cover the journey of the means. I hit Target first, then scoured the mall looking tired and focused and slightly panicked, marching from store to store, then finally decided on Macy's half an hour before the mall closed.

Then I stayed up way too late winding down. My feet hurt and my brain was wired.

But I did it! Thank God. Nothing like waiting till the last minute...which, as I realized in college, I will always do until that system fails me. (Know thyself.)

Tonight: laundry and packing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you (and your procrastination) the other day as I stayed up until 7:30 in the morning writing a paper. I'm so glad I'm not alone.

The Prufroquette said...

Never! It's also nice for me to know that I'm in company.

See, my deal in college, up till my junior year, was that every time I pulled some ridiculous all-nighter cranking out a paper in one go, I would tell myself, over and over, "I will never do this again. Next time I'll be responsible like everyone else and spend six weeks or more working on my paper."

Until one day I laughed and realized, No, I won't. The only way I would restructure my system is if I failed a paper. And since I never did, I never restructured. And I decided that that was just the way I did things, and it worked, and why waste time on unnecessary guilt?

Yup. Know thyself. Or procrastinate on that too. ;)

Good luck!

The Prufroquette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
none said...

I procrastinated on finding a dress for a special event recently, and I ended up ordering one online that arrived just in time. And it turned out great, so maybe next time that happens, I won't stress so much.


Have fun at the wedding Sarah! I want to see pictures when you get back.

Yax said...

That same method of paper procrastination served me all the way through grad school. Simple, yet effective.

I fear it won't work for me on the final, biggest paper of all though.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....