Thursday, December 27, 2007

home again, home again

It's back to Michigan and back to work for me.

I had a lovely Christmas with my folks, which was really, really nice. For the past couple of years Christmas hasn't felt like Christmas, and it's been...well, discouraging at the least, but more like a kind of headspin. I've always thrown myself into the Christmas spirit with a passion; this year I didn't decorate even a smidgen, and didn't bother with a tree. I guess it's one of the things about growing up I'll have to get used to. Nothing's the same anymore.

But still, I had a wonderful time at home, and wasn't quite ready to come back to my life. Thankfully it's only a two-day week at work, so the weekend draws nigh and I can dedicate a good portion of my time to housecleaning, which is top of the desperately needed to-do list.

The good thing about coming home, always, is Simon. There's something about having a pet who is completely and thoroughly Yours. My folks have three cats, one of which has been my favorite of the family kitties for years, and they were sweet and cute and delightful, but they weren't mine. I missed Simon. I missed his alert attention to everything I do, the way he comes and finds me when he's been doing something else for awhile, the way he comes to me when I call him, the way he stops whatever he's doing when I talk to him and rolls on the floor, the way he cuddles up to me at night, the way he shoves his head in my face and rattles my skull with his purr in the mornings. So coming home last night and seeing him was fantastic (he was purring so hard it choked him), and a nice balm to what has been a terrible grief of living in a house alone.

I'm looking forward to cleaning out the kitchen so that I can start my cooking again. Now that I have that wonderful meat cleaver, some of the recipes I had to shunt aside are now possibilities.

Now I just need a grill.

2 comments:

Tressa bailey said...

I have 5 (count em) 5 cats. I live in downtown SB and since you know the area you know about the mice here...but there is one of them that is very special to me...completely black and his fur is like silk and his purr is like an engine full of love....I have a son still with me at home but even he doesn't love me as much as this cat does....LOL (maybe I should give my kid some kibbles)

The Prufroquette said...

LOL!

Nothing like a cat, is there? No other animal purrs.

I could (and often do) go on and on about my cat...what else is a single girl to relate? Besides, I could spend hours watching him...he's so CUTE. I love his little wrinkly forehead, his little fangs, his long whiskers, the spatter of white hairs on his chest, his thoughtful profile, the way he looks at me with half-lidded yellow eyes as if he knows we're both thinking the same thing (although we're not; he's usually thinking about his dinner).

I'm glad someone understands! Most of my nearby friends are cat-HATERS. Which I don't really understand, and I tell them that often; I'm not a dog-hater; I just prefer the kitties, most particularly MY kitty. So it's nice to know someone out there "gets" cats.

You live in SB? How are the nasty unplowed roads? I love how the city's idea of "plowing" is to dump salt on everything and leave it to God, nature, and other people's accidents. (That's one of the several things I don't miss about SB. Although I DO miss the Saigon Market.)

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....