Wednesday, December 12, 2007

more home improvements

So my house stories bore you. Too bad. :) I have nothing else of particular interest to report, and I'm currently obsessed with nesting, so there you have it. I'm not sorry not to have horrific mouse stories or psychotic neighbors or anything else to relate, although those sorts of things are certainly more entertaining than tales of my sewing conquests.

Come to think of it, though, here are a couple of things that aren't totally dull:

1.) An eighty-year-old woman died in my bedroom a number of years ago. The house, however, radiates peace, so I believe she didn't suffer.

2.) My basement is hung with merry curtains of cobwebs which give me the dry heaves, so I never use it.

3.) This past weekend I found a cigarette butt on the path leading from my porch to the car. I didn't put it there. The middle-aged son of my next-door neighbors is a little odd, so I suspect he was standing out there in the evening looking in my one blindless living room window. That's my best guess. I don't feel threatened or anything, just mildly nauseated. I hung miniblinds to take care of that issue.

Onto the boring stuff!

I have crowned myself the Curtain Queen. They're all finished. Red curtains for my study, gorgeous linenesque yellow-green curtains for my bathroom. Which meant I was able to hang the remaining curtains in my bedroom. Altogether, it looks lovely. The study is transformed from a hideous spare room into a place of relatively cozy comfort. The bedroom is perfect (aside from one glaring empty white wall, but I'll be hanging a large picture to alleviate that). The living room is picked up and vacuumed, the dishes are washed.

All I have left is the general lightweight clutter. In a house as small as mine, even the slightest bit of clutter on any floor or flat surface makes the whole place look completely messy, since there isn't much open space to make it look as small as it really is. Which means I'll have to be the consummate housekeeper.

I wish my kitchen weren't so ugly. Maybe I'll paint the cupboards.

And I have to set up my computer. Now that the study isn't blugh, I want to be able to take up my writing again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you had a camera so you could take pictures of your home. It sounds lovely!

Anonymous fellow secretary friend

The Prufroquette said...

:) Yay for my fellow secretary!

I too wish I had access to a digital camera. The house really isn't much, but I'm doing what I can to capitalize on its charms. And it's starting, finally, to feel like home.

Making curtains for five days straight also helped distract me from whatever stomach bug is making me feel mildly nauseated.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....