Saturday, September 17, 2005

fall cleaning

I made a delightful discovery yesterday when depositing my birthday money into my checking account: I have much more money there than I had thought.

Much more really isn't much in the grand scheme of things, but the end of the month usually finds me scraping the bottom of the financial barrel because my spending habits have never been stellar. Well...actually my spending habits are great for the economy, but my saving habits suck.

But so far this month I've been practically miserly, not buying anything but groceries and staying in a lot to watch Buffy. (My birthday shopping spree at the Grove doesn't count, as it used up money that didn't come from my paycheck.)

So I can relax a little bit and enjoy the not-spending that is September.

Today my apartment was fifty-eight degrees when I woke up (again, up and about before nine -- huzzah!) and even though I didn't feel I'd had the best night's sleep, just rolling out from under the covers into delightful briskness had me completely energized. Which means I get to partially accomplish my goal of reorganizing and cleaning my entire apartment this weekend. The clutter has been accumulating and it's driving me bonkers.

Boss Meg and I have been working out consistently after work on MWF; yesterday's workout was fantastic (although sadly I sweat like Niagara Falls, thanks Dad) and I've finally found the perfect height on the exercise bike so that my knees aren't burning two minutes into the routine.

The two of us managed to get through the end of August and part of September without hearing someone ask us, "Are you sisters???" But this week we were deluged; it's gotten to the point where we either start laughing as soon as it's asked, or suppress impatient groans. I mean seriously. She's Greek-Italian and I'm Scots-Irish-German. We're two pretty white girls with big smiles and brown hair, and that's where the resemblance ends. Although I do look a little more like her sister than her own sister does.

My mango yogurt ice went over fabulously at La-Di-Ta; I met two new young women who a.) don't mind at all our various differences in personality and background (which rocks) and b.) apparently know all the young people in South Bend, so I've been threatened with a social life, which sounds grrrreat. They exclaimed over the delicate flavors and beautiful presentation (at the recipe's direction, I served the ice with sprigs of mint) and asked, "You made this?" Which of course made me smile.

Bring on the cleaning. I'm wearing ancient, huge, patched, faded jeans and a bandana. Brace yourself, clutter. Te goberno!

5 comments:

LRuggiero_temp said...

Yeah, I sweat like Niagara too. Walking into class dripping: always a plus! I'm doing f-ing homework today! WTF? I'm still doing homework? This is not what I signed up for! haha

WORD verification: zxfjzuaz

I mean, are they even TRYING to make it look like a word? I do see "fizz" masquerading in there somewhere, but with a j and I'm more familiar with the 2-z ending, not so much the "z-random vowel pairings-z." And, don't even get me started on how the fonts all run-together and HARD TO READ.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you've been threatened with a social life many times before. I dare you to actually try it :) drb

The Prufroquette said...

Oooo, cheap shot!

Mair said...

I don't understand why freezing air makes you want to get up. It does the complete opposite to me. It makes me want to curl back into my ball of down draped comfort and go back to sleep.

At any rate - people often say that Josh and I look like brother and sister and it freaks me out. I am often bothered by people's complete inability to notice anything other than hair and eye color when making such assertions. So - we both have dark hair and blue eyes! That doens't make us twins!!!

I'm intrigued by your mango ice. It sounds absolutely delish. I'd also like to know what vegetarian cookbook you've been singing the praises of. I'm teetering on the edge of vegetarian b/c the last few times I've eaten meat (which have been few and far between) I really just didn't like it.

Trey said...

Watching Buffy is possibly the best use of anyone's time, as long as it's just seasons 1-3, the other four are completely unnecessary (excepting of course "Once More with Feeling")
I, too, like it brisk in my living space, but sadly I live in the third floor of an AC-free building full of sweaty men. Such is life.
You should come visit while there are people here who know you.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....