Thursday, September 08, 2005

the post in which I confess to like being single

I like being single.

I like it a lot.

It's been a dawning comprehension over the last couple of months, moving to a conscious realization over the last couple of weeks, blooming to a solid awareness over the last couple of days. Given a choice, at the moment, I think I would choose to stay as I am.

Oh, not forever -- "it is not good for [man/woman/a person/me] to be alone" and all that -- but for now. When I find my life completely satisfying. When I have so much to do and learn, and so much to read. When I look around and see that everything is good, as it is.

When I was younger I thought I would never have the capability to be/live alone, as in single (I'm not actually "alone"; I have faith an family and friends and plants). But that's what has happened, and it's very very good.

A blessing. This, for the time being, is my blessing. Something to cherish and protect, something to make me smile with my whole being, until the next blessing.

4 comments:

Mair said...

Great post, Sarah. I'm really happy when I read your blog and see that you are existentially fulfilled and content right now. It is uplifting.

la persona said...

When my first on-again, off-again other went off for good, I thought the end of the world was at hand. Looking back a year later, I now see that it was really just beginning. After a chance encounter with that individual, who is now with someone else, I experienced the jarring realization of how different my life would have been had I prematurely persisted in an ill-founded relationship. I have had time to pursue my dreams and try new things and learn more about who I really am. Maybe one day, someone else will come into my life and stay there forever... But until then, I concur with you that singlehood has become an unexpected blessing. I look forward to rejoicing, not commiserating, in our newfound revelations in a couple of weeks. Take care!

LRuggiero_temp said...

Boo-yah, singleness! Boo-yah going home to an empty apt/efficieny-in-which-you-can-see-the-whole-thing-from-the-vantage-point-of-the-door!
WORD verification: llcthx

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARAH!

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....