Sunday, September 04, 2005

the healing power of chicken

Recognizing that my posts tend to ramble, I will attempt to keep this concise and clear. (This is how you should never, never start a paper.) This blog will have three parts.

1. Notification and apology to all my friends: I've turned on word verification for comments. I'm tired of random comment spam.

2. Nara, my favorite two-year-old at work, on Thursday demonstrated the impossible. The kids had discovered a wagon left in the courtyard during their outdoor free play time, and organized themselves into puller, pulled, and pusher. The teamwork as they navigated the curves in the path was adorable.

Then Nara started pulling everyone else. Raziel, Antonio, and Kristopher sat in the wagon while she pulled them around and around the circle. Meg and I looked on amazed. I laughingly asked Nara if I could have a ride, to which she responded, "You cain't have a ride! My kids in there!" (She has Mother Hen and Matriarch embedded into her personality.)

But then Meg had everyone climb out and climbed in herself, and Nara pulled 135-lb Meg halfway around the circle. Then Meg climbed out and I climbed in. She pulled 160-lb me partway around the circle. Then 25-lb Christopher and 35-lb Kristopher climbed in with me, and she dragged the 220-lb three of us -- five times her own body weight -- about a foot.

I think she's going to take over the world.

3. Chicken broth. This morning I woke up unspeakably nauseous and could barely bring myself to sip water. But then I remembered the boullion granules on my spice rack. I made a cup of chicken broth. Bliss. Digestive healing heaven.

Why? What makes chicken broth a cure-all for upset stomachs?

Well. I'm just glad it works.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....