Wednesday, September 14, 2005

a year older

Yesterday I turned twenty-four.

I've been looking forward to this birthday since about February, when I decided that twenty-four is a.) going to be the best year of my life so far and b.) closer to being a settled, "real" adult than twenty-three. At twenty-four I think it's beginning to look like I have a clue...or if not a clue, then at least a plan that happens to be working out so far.

It's also the age my mother was when she gave birth to me. My life has taken dramatically different turns from hers: Not married right out of college (not even dating), not holding my first child in my arms. One thing, though, we have in common: I moved far away from family to start a life of my own.

I'd planned to be incredibly reflective, but as it turns out that's all I have to say about turning twenty-four. My birthday itself was a great deal of fun in a relaxing, low-key way. I went out for some excellent deep-dish pizza with Colette, came home and watched the season premieres of Bones and House while on the phone with Leigh Ann, broke open a bottle of mead (which I highly recommend: honey wine is sweet, flavorful, and rich) and contentedly watched the day end. I'm glad, as I'm glad of most things lately, to be a year older and to find nothing to wish for, having all that I want (besides a raise, let's be honest).

This past weekend I caught a ride East to visit my sister and her fiance in New Wilmington -- and it was perfect. I didn't get to see enough of Laura, as she spent most of the weekend working, but my future brother-in-law doesn't mind shopping, so we spent some intensive hours at the Grove City Outlets, where I bought eight T-shirts, three long-sleeved T-shirts, and two tanktops (nearly all of them for work), a garlic press, three pairs of underwear, and a cheap VHS edition of E.T. I consider this my birthday shopping spree, and was profoundly happy that it took place in a state without clothing tax. It was absolutely rejuvenating to be back in Western PA for thirty hours, among old hills, small farm towns, and a slower pace of life. I needed that time in the landscape of my home.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes! Life is, as usual, lovely.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Sar. I didn't know your birthday was yesterday, or I would've gotten my ass in gear to get those CD's I promised to you ready for shipping. As is, life is chaos right now (though interesting) and I keep forgetting.

Although, yesterday when ordering several Lucinda Williams CD's from the library, I thought of you and how many I would copy to send to you if they were good.

The Prufroquette said...

Aw, Gare. My own personal music man. I can't wait. :)

lvs said...

As usual, I've forgotten that we all three have September birthdays, so happy birthday Garrett and Sarah!
My mom was 20 when she gave birth to my sister. 20 and stunning. I am nearly 22 and am neither stunning nor a mother. What gives?

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....