Tuesday, May 23, 2006

soon (hopefully)

So I've been falling apart. The teller is that nothing should really be that wrong, aside from the usual loneliness. My life is great.

It's just this chemical imbalance in my brain and body that's causing me to absorb too much seratonin, making it impossible for me to pull myself up by my bootstraps. I need medication.

Laura has this great analogy that she told me on Sunday: Taking antidepressants is like wearing glasses. It's correcting an imbalance that you were born with, that you cannot do anything about.

Anyway, I'm all about antidepressants (I was on them three years ago), and after trying multiple avenues today -- calling different doctors and organizations -- and running up against a wall each time, I finally fell back on my family practice (that I've only been to once...another thing that sucks about relocating to a totally new area is having no idea where to go for medical needs) and told the receptionist that while it's more common for a family physician to refer a patient to psychiatric care, no one can take me until the end of the summer and I really need help now.

So I have an appointment on Friday morning.

Here's hoping.

2 comments:

none said...

I'm glad you got the appt. Keep letting us know how you're doing.

Music Trades said...

Hey, there's an analogy I've heard before: a good friend of mine calls life on anti-depressants "20/20 sanity." Incidentally, she's doing really well. Best to you.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....