Tuesday, May 02, 2006

what I'm looking for

I know the posting has been spotty...this great, heavy, soggy apathy has been smothering my desire to communicate, even as it enhances my sense of isolation. Lovely, yes? Oh -- no.

So, in a comment on the Fab Females blog, I one day, off the cuff, spelled out what I'm looking for in a man. It struck me today as a pretty incredible description, all the more so because I know someone who fits that bill. Despite the fact that he is somewhat unavailable (for the time being, anyway), the fact that this man actually exists bodily in the world I live in gives me tremendous amounts of encouragement and hope.

Here he is in a nutshell:

The man I'm looking for is a man of God, dedicated to truth and justice, who treats others the way Christ treated others, who hates hypocrisy, and who knows the clear, hard, just, and merciful nature of love. Who knows his purpose and strives to live toward it. Who loves equally the successful businessperson and the homeless derelict. Who treats all human beings, including his family, with dignity and respect. Who pursues his goals with unshaken focus and seeks to live an effective life in our broken world.

Yup. I have met a person like this. He's not too good to be true. (And this is in no way intended to slam any of the guys I know. I love almost all of you.) He also has a hot temper and the (at least as far as I've observed) unheard-of ability to live in a bad day without somehow involving you in its badness. Add innate confidence, a well-rounded sense of humor, a love of literature, aesthetic taste, and a feel for good irony, and you've got him.

In short, I think he's great. Available or unavailable, for now or ever, notwithstanding. He fuels my hope for a good future.

Wild.

7 comments:

lvs said...

Mmm... you sound like you've found yourself someone delicious. Have you been out with him yet?

The Prufroquette said...

No. He's (more or less, though much less as time -- as in days -- goes on) unavailable for now. He's recently single, and I don't want to push anything. I've been contenting myself for a long time with appropriate levels of knowing him while he was dating. But I dearly want to get to know him in levels that are more appropriate now that he's not dating.

And the great thing is, he's a man (and my kind of man). The kind who goes for what he wants. So I don't think I'd ever have to put myself through the anguish of taking the first step...if he's interested, he will. If he's not, he won't; and I'll have saved myself the embarrassment of looking like an ass.

For now, I'm happy to wait, see as much of him as I can without being overwhelming/irritating/too involved, and look brightly to the future. Because even if he's not in it, now that I have proof that a person with his qualities is out there, I can hope for someone else along those lines!

lvs said...

How fun. Go you!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, good idea. There's no way finding true love (or even developing a meaningful relationship) could be worth the possibility of "the embarrassment of looking like an ass."

The Prufroquette said...

Give it a rest, Tommy.

Anonymous said...

Who's Tommy?

The Prufroquette said...

If you're not Tommy, your comments are right in his vein.

Okay, look. I would rather allow anyone, blogger member or not, to comment here, but frankly I really don't feel like dealing with unconstructive and sarcastic comments from nameless individuals, so if you would like to comment further, you can kindly tell me who you are and take responsibility for your words. Otherwise, I'd rather not hear from you.

If this is the first time you've visited my blog and chosen to comment, I apologize for seeming caustic. I have not been in a sturdy frame of mind to deal with petty remarks, however well-intended.

I hope you'll own up to your identity. It takes two minutes to create one on blogger. I enjoy open discussion, so if your comment was intended to ask me insightful questions regarding my approach to relationships, then by all means ask me the question outright, so that fruitful discussion can ensue. But don't dress it up in snide little jabs and condescension. It doesn't go anywhere, or at least, it won't on this blog.

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....