Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Day 14

This marks the second full week of unending cranial pain.

I went to the ER again on Monday night. MP angelically came with her laptop and stories and kept me company and called her dad for advice and kept up a running stream of jokes while I got more shots in the ass and cried, and got a spinal tap and cried, and lay back on the bed for an hour and slept and cried.

Boo.

The good news is that none of the tests revealed anything wrong. Bloodwork: normal. CAT scan: normal. Spinal tap: normal. But the headache and the increasing pain in my shoulders and back remain inexplicable.

My family practitioner also practices osteopathy, so he gave me a neck and back adjustment yesterday, which relieved the pain for about four hours before it slammed back into my temples and rendered me practically useless. I dragged myself through the rest of the working day, and finally broke down and asked my boss for the day off today, just to sleep and rest and (as I'm discovering while typing this) not look at a computer screen, while lounging around out of my mind on Vicodin and Flexeril.

I don't know what happened to make this spring out at me suddenly. Undeniably it's been a horrifically stressful year. I haven't had a chiropractic adjustment since college. I rarely encounter physical contact from other human beings. I suppose all those put together exploded into my present situation.

Okay, ow. Really can't look at the computer screen any longer. So I'm going to thank everyone who has been so remarkably helpful, apologize for being a grumpy, bad invalid (I don't know what to do when people offer to help), and go see what kind of fun I can have stringing lights on my Christmas tree while under the influence of a narcotic.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....