Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Enough

Now my neighbors panhandle, on occasion, both me and my guests for "taxi money" for their shady friends.

Last night, my neighbor knocked on my door asking to borrow the basement key, since the Absent Landlord had told her she could have one for storage, but hadn’t given it to her yet. I complied; she then disappeared, with the key, for an hour or so. Doesn’t take a nuclear physicist to figure out that she was getting a copy.

I called the AL, to find what my suspicion had whispered to me: He hadn’t told her she could have one. Great. They were up and about well up till five this morning, slamming the occasional door and waking me up. And when I went back down to the basement this morning (having reobtained my key), I found some of my stored alcohol missing (at least, I'm SURE that one crate wasn't EMPTY when I last looked at it). And I know the boyfriend is an alcoholic.

So. Beating, lying, possible theft, and (I suspect) drugs. The porch light is always on after dark. Why would it need to be on? Why do I hear furtive whispers in the stairwell leading down to the outside door at 4:15 a.m.?

I’m finished putting up with this. Done. Terminada. I’ve sent out an email to the neighborhood Listserv, inquiring after apartments for rent. I have a few leads.

There is a fine balance of wisdom in a sticky situation. On one slope, it’s wisest to be stubborn and stick it out and try to complain loudly enough that the situation improves; on the other slope, once all complaints have fallen on officially deaf ears and the situation continues to worsen, it’s wisest to leave.

I think the balance tipped last night. Well, probably it tipped last week when I had to call the police. But having to worry about getting robbed on top of calling the police about domestic violence is, shall we say, too much.

It’s like an abusive relationship. There are plenty of red flags along the way, and if you keep ignoring them, eventually he’ll hit you. I’ve had more than a few red flags, and I’m afraid that if I stay, something horrible will happen.

And I’m tired of being edgy and nervous in my own home.

No comments:

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....