Sunday, August 10, 2008

balm

One of my favorite parts of church involves nothing of particular overt significance. I don't know when the tradition began, or how; but I love that, when the congregation prays the Our Father, everyone holds hands.

I surmise that it began when the church focused on community in the late 60s. Whatever the cause, on the rare occasions when I find myself sitting in the pews, as opposed to standing solo leading the singing, I absolutely cannot wait for that one moment.

My whole life I have loved human contact. I grew up in a very physically affectionate family, and made physically affectionate friends in college. Whether it was linking arms with a comrade to skip along the Quad, squishing four girls onto a three-person couch to watch Eddie Izzard, or dancing around the dorm rooms in moments of joy, I always had friends to lend a quite literal hand.

Adulthood has brought its challenges, which I have loved in that persevering through them I have continued to grow up, and have witnessed a divine faithfulness directing my footsteps. The hardest part, for me, isn't paying the bills, or budgeting, or cleaning house, or coming home tired from work; it isn't even sitting alone in my living room clicking the remote to the next episode of Buffy. It's the lack of human contact.

I've made do, of course; one does. I have my delightful Simon to cuddle with, and have cultivated a little extra stamina between the times when I visit with my sister or my parents. I keep myself busy, and I don't often think about it. I'm never given more than I can handle, right? And on the whole I "handle" very well. Most days it doesn't feel like that big a deal; it's just life, and, for the most part, I very much like my life.

But I love that moment in church. I love feeling the pressure of fingertips on the back of my hand, the living heat of a human palm crossing my own. I love the individuality in people's grasps, and I love that one of the ways in which God's love is made manifest to us is through the unity of His children.

I doubt that salving touch-starved spirits was what the church had in mind in instilling this small ritual. But the weeks when I stand surrounded by other believers, even though most of them are still strangers, clasping the warmth of human hands, give me just a little more strength, and a little more joy. I keep the sensation imprinted on my skin and in my mind, like the chapstick in my pocket, to apply as needed to the drier days, to remind myself that I am a member of Christ's body, and that, since it gives me such comfort, I too can serve by reaching out -- again, literally -- to the people in need who cross my path, because, as U2 says so well, "to touch is to heal."

It's a beautiful thing.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Last weekend I was introduced to Eddie Izzard. It was quite the experience!

The Prufroquette said...

I LOVE Eddie. Love him, love him, love him. I shudder to think of my college experience without his guiding beacon of hilarity and wit.

Nic said...

It's interesting... I think I have spent my entire life 'touch-starved'. In the brief spaces of time that I have a boyfriend, it's a wondrous delight, to actually have contact with human flesh (it's as simple as hand-holding).

Likewise, now that I have nephews, I can hug them.

But everyday life? There's nothing, and that doesn't seem right.

The Prufroquette said...

Hurts, doesn't it? I always make sure to get my fill when my parents visit -- they might get tired of it, but they're OBLIGATED to love me, so I try to stock up whenever I see them, to get me through the rest of the year.

That's been one of my favorite parts of dating, too -- the very simple, humanizing, life-giving contact.

In the meantime, though, there are always other people's kids, and a few close friends. It's not QUITE the same, but as a substitute, it will do...like holding hands to pray in church.

Nic said...

My family doesn't hug. I've always wondered why; it's just not something we do and I think perhaps that has been passed down through the generations.

If I ever have children, I hope I can break that trend! You are very lucky that you can hug your parents. :)

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....