Monday, August 25, 2008

glazed

Mondays are always acclimationally difficult.

We have a new part-time receptionist at the office, and it seems that she has a brain which she knows how to employ, and I think she's going to be great. So for a few months anyway (she has a baby due in December) I might get a little bit of a break, and go home at the end of the day feeling somewhat better than zombielike.

I need some time off, though. The budget is grim, particularly with moving expenses coming up in a few weeks (I can't wait to get out of The State of Denmark. Can't. Wait), so I'm going to see what kinds of pennies I can pinch and maybe head out Grove City way for Homecoming toward the end of October. I don't know how many people will be there whom I know, but something about fall starts a fire in my blood for road trips and red maples and leaves falling on the stony ground of the Pennsylvania hills. I want to roam the small patch of woods below the Chapel again, see what's left of Wolf Creek, breathe in the pines (there aren't that many around my little corner of Southwest Michigan), listen to the crows, bask in shallow autumn sunshine.

And talk to old friends and catch up with professors, of course.

It's not a set-in-stone plan; again, it all depends on my finances. But I'd like to. I need to get me out of Dodge for a couple of days, and looking forward to a long weekend in October is tantalizingly refreshing. I get restless in the fall -- I want to migrate somewhere. I want new vistas, different horizons. I need to move.

Speaking of moving, I have been told that I move more than anyone -- this coming October will be four times in as many years, and I'm planning on moving again next year. It's kind of biting my credit in the back, so I think I'll get a P.O. Box and at least have that as a facade of permanence for now.

It's weird -- I never planned on leaving after I moved into the Ivory Tower; in fact, I believe I blogged something to the effect of not moving unless/until I married or left the Midwest. Ha. I didn't want to leave it, but I had to; and I detest The State of Denmark so much that I can't wait to move. I am looking forward to it -- fresh, unmarked wall space, like a lawn of pristine snow! To decorate however I wish! A whole new adventure in feng shui! New arrangements of old crates, more space, a change!

I'm positively antsy for change. All things new. And a new apartment appears to be falling into place...if I can scrape together the deposit money. Time to live off what's in my freezer.

2 comments:

Rainey said...

Yay! I hope you can make it to Homecoming. I'm definitely going to go this year and it'd be great to see you. Also, congrats and good luck with the move, and just fyi, you do not move more than anyone. I work with parolees and THEY move more than anyone. It's kind of crazy.

la persona said...

Since graduating in '04, I've changed addresses 9 times. Count 'em -- 9. And right now I'm indefinitely subletting a room (my stuff in storage, living out of a suitcase yet again) until #10 comes along. God help me, I hope it will be the last -- til, as you said, I get married or leave for the state of Me'xico for good. For now, what the heck am I supposed to put down on my driver's license and employment forms? The wear and tear of constant change is fast becoming unbearable.

Hope all goes well with you in the next one!

The Year of More and Less

Life continues apace. I like being in my late thirties. I have my shit roughly together. I'm more secure and confident in who I am....